47 merc

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well here is the bottom line. I have to change to a s10 frame, so now everyone will be happy with my frame .not me. Back to work soon as the weather brakes.

If you aren't too far away you could take a look in person at what I've done with my 40 Chevy, kinds give you pit of perspective on the S-10 frame... it's your call either way.

henrys47merc

My s10 frame was stretched to 118" , same as the 47. I have made the brackets to install the s10 hood latch and looks good.Wish I could download pictures, so everyone could see how well it fits. the reason I am doing this is my old latch is rusted out top and bottom.

My s10 frame was stretched to 118" , same as the 47. I have made the brackets to install the s10 hood latch and looks good.Wish I could download pictures, so everyone could see how well it fits. the reason I am doing this is my old latch is rusted out top and bottom.

Nice... good way to go with the frame stretch....

As far as posting pictures...

click the POST REPLY button
When that next window finishes loading, scroll down to additional options, and click on the button that says manage attachments.

It will pop up another window titled 'Manage Attachments' with a bunch of 'Choose File' buttons.

Then just navigate to whichever folder you have them in.

All photos have to be under certain size 1000 pixel x 1000 pixel, you can resize them in 'Paint'

hope that helps.

henrys47merc

I have been busy building new door sills. heck of a job,but they will be 10 times stronger.

No, wheelbase is correct. S-10 frames usually fit the wheelbase of old truck. The 117" wheelbase of the regular cab longbox S-10 is usually a perfect fit for a regular cab shortbox vintage truck, or the 124" wheelbase of the extended cab shortbox S-10 is usually a perfect fit for a regular cab longbox vintage truck. The S-10 track width is much narrower than a vintage truck, but that's find if you want a lowered stance with wide wheels. My wheels are all reversed with small backspacing to fill out the fenders.

Since yours is a coupe and the wheelbase is 114", the regular cab longbox S-10 will be close. Factor in that most cars in that era didn't have the wheels centered, and it will probably be about perfect. However, I wouldn't use an S-10 frame in a car for one simple reason: The rear kick-up on the S-10 frame will result in a lot of lost floor and trunk space on a car. It's not as big of a deal on a truck, but can cause some major issues on a car. Personally for a car, I would look at swapping in an 80's chevy mid-size car frame.

.. here,s my 48 merc. on a s10 frame 4wd rear end

I think a late-70's GM G-body frame would be a really good choice. It might need shortened or lengthened a little, but they're easy. The frame and suspension is darned good. We used 'em for years in stock car racing. People still are.

keep hearing people saying don,t put a s10 frame under a car because you have to cut up too much floor and trunk space well shown is all you have to do on a 42/48 merc/ford coupe, the 4 pieces givr the frame the space and there is no cutting in the trunk! the back seat covers these covers these

Last edited:
30sx, the stance of your car looks great and it's good to see interior shots of where the clearance "issues" are. I've only seen mostly GM cars done that way before and the problem with most of those is that the builder tries to channel them so much that they lose a ton of floor. I'm thinking maybe they don't lower the frame as well. On my S-10 frame swap on my truck I lowered the frame with spindles and blocks so that I didn't lost as much box space and could retain a flat cab floor.

Did you lower your frame?

30sx, the stance of your car looks great and it's good to see interior shots of where the clearance "issues" are. I've only seen mostly GM cars done that way before and the problem with most of those is that the builder tries to channel them so much that they lose a ton of floor. I'm thinking maybe they don't lower the frame as well. On my S-10 frame swap on my truck I lowered the frame with spindles and blocks so that I didn't lost as much box space and could retain a flat cab floor.

Did you lower your frame?

you kinda threw me there when you said "lower the frame":) but i see you mean the suspenion... yes i used 2" beltec spindles on the front and3" beltec leafs on the rear with 21/2" blocks, it,s true if you want a car body to sit as low as the truck in your avatar you are looking at major surgery of the floor. i think i have gone far enough as i will be pulling a small travel trailer with it to so need room for some spring travel in the back:)........ oh and sorry to hijack your thread henrys 47 merc.

Last edited:
henrys47merc

Thanks 300sx for the pictures of your floor. I have zero floor in my 47, so this will help me plan my floor.

just wondering, do you have any trunk floor, mainly the rectangular brace that runs across the back of the trunk? that piece sits on the top of the s10 frame with rubber washers in between, that will give you some measurements to lining up the body sq. to the frame andthe 2 body mount,s below the firewall can sq. the front

Glad to see you making progress, between being sick and the weather I've not made any ground on mine, I'll have to hit you up and check out your ride soon.

body mounts for the rockers are just handmade measuring from the rockers to the frame, since you have no floor to begin with the body could be channeled down as much as you want, the cowl goes past the frame on the front and there is lot,s of room on the sides

henrys47merc

moved the last crossmember to the back of the frame for rear mounting. Have the frame under the car waiting for the weather to brake so I can drop it down on the frame.

Latest posts

Back