Alternator multimeter results

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billy

Motor mouth ratchet jaw!
Dodge 318
Battery 12.70 volts
Engine running 12.42 volts
Engine, heater and headlights on 12.07 volts
What does it all mean?

There should be a heavy wire that comes from the back of the altenator. If it has battery voltage then it is an altenator or regulator problem. If no battery voltage when not running it has a break in the wire between alt. and batt.

It tested ok and i found that if i rev it real quick it goes to 14.5 volts and will stay there.
The pulley is a bit too big.
So i am looking for a smaller one

The one wire delco's will do that, just have to remember to rev it up before you take off unless you rev it up on takeoff. :D

I think I am just on the edge of not getting enough juice.
The heater slows way down and the lights dim at stoplights.
And i dont like having to rev the hell out of it all the time.
I am going to try and get a slightly smaller pulley and i am for sure going with 2 batterys.
I want the cold crank amps

Jegs has a one wire alternator that gets "excited" at a lower engine speed. I put one on the chevy truck I just flipped. It put out 14.6 volts at an idle.
You might consider that.

Good luck!

My idle is low enough that at redlights the headlights dim and forget about having the heater on.
the ambulance is a low rpm vehicle and I am not willing to turn the idle up just so the delco alternator will kick in.
So after a ton of searching (i dunno why its so hard to find smaller pulleys)
I ordered this one last night.
This payday i will get some selectro hubs as well.
ALTERNATOR PULLEY OD-44MM
YOU MAY NEED WASHER OR BUSHING TO LINEUP .
Some apps might require a different length belt., typically not though.
Standard 17mm rotor bore

Latest posts

Back