I'm Gonna Build A Dragster!

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes OI, a proper header is one improvement. Hate to get rid of the individual pipes as they sound good. More head work by me. Zero deck. Maybe a different intake/carb set up. Weight reduction. These are some of the performance improvements planned.

Thank you smallfoot.

I'm with you on keeping the zoomies, they go with that style of dragster. Headers will get you 1-2 tenths ET, head & intake/carb work will get you into the mid to high 10's and every # you can take off is a big plus.

Also you might want to look at the size of your slicks, how wide & tall. They may be killing your bottom end power on that small inch inline 6. Remember that first 60-100 feet is the key to low ET's.[cl[cl[cl

Thanks for your observations and expertise.

I was just mowing my mostly dead grass when I came upon this large fungus. Meet Mushroom Mike.:D

Attachments

• IMG_3037.jpg
    IMG_3037.jpg
    218.1 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_3038.jpg
    IMG_3038.jpg
    177 KB · Views: 24
Last race of the year this weekend. Then it comes in the garage for weight reduction, a horsepower increase and a beauty make over. My very good friend Jim, from Atlanta got these front wheels for me some years ago. Going to take the Anglia front axle out of the Crosley and use it in the dragster. These spindle mounts will work well. Hoping for 10.99 next year.

Attachments

• IMG_3067.jpg
    IMG_3067.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 14
Bob,

What does the dragster weigh with fuel & driver now?

Can you get 100# off the dragster?

Take a good look at your rear slick size like I said before I think they are killing your 60' times & you can't get that back on the run. You want to run the narrowest slick you can even if you have to add 50-75# to the rear for traction.
Keep use posted.

I can remove 80 pounds by changing drivers.:D

The slicks are 26" by 8". 60' is 1.53. It dead hooks at the line. With the trans brake it leaves at about 3,500 rpm. After 5,000 rpm it runs out of breath and flattens out. Hard to find slicks narrower than that used. I'm thrifty, especially in today's economy.

I always appreciate your input.

Ya I know what you mean but good drivers that can use a trans brake are hard to find.:D

Even 50# reduction will help, try to remove the weigh from the motor plate forward if you can. The front axel & rims will help.

After seeing the numbers you are right on the slicks, won't find much narrower for the price. 1.53 60' time ain't all that bad for a SDRA dragster.

With the motor running out of steam at 5500 rpm the question I have is how far down the track are you (or Dave) when you hit 5500 rpm? Sounds like a cam change might be in the works.:D:D

Our big nostalgia drag racing event was Friday and today. What a great turnout! Hundreds of gassers. Lots of front engine dragsters. Lots of rain Friday. We were one of the lucky few to get a run in. Today was perfect weather.
Remarkably, the dragster ran better that ever before. The old PR was11.285. All four runs were better that that, with the best of 11.12. A huge improvement considering I changed nothing. There was three nitro front engine dragsters and one funny car that put on a cackle show for the crowd. I only took a few pics.

Attachments

• IMG_3072.jpg
    IMG_3072.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_3073 (1).jpg
    IMG_3073 (1).jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_3071.jpg
    IMG_3071.jpg
    116.7 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_3076.jpg
    IMG_3076.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_3077.jpg
    IMG_3077.jpg
    112 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:
Nice pictures. What inline 6 motor is in the red T bucket & what does it run.

11.12 with no changes means you had better air and the driver was on his
game. [cl

A few #'s of weight off the Bullet & a little more power & 10.25 - 10.50 will be a doable pass. :eek:;)

We've run against him a few times. Nice guy. It's a 292 Chevy 6. Best I've seen is a 12.48.

I was hoping to break into the 10.00's with the planned improvements. Now I'm getting greedy. Might not get to where you are predicting, old28, but will give it the old senior try.

Looks like a fun two days, rain and all! [cl
With the changes you mentioned it will for sure break into the 10’s [P
Be sure to give a bath, might save a few ounce’s [S:D
Glad your having fun with it

Bob, you never said how far down the 1/4 mile you were when you hit 5000 rpm's and the motor ran out of steam?

For a bit more power it sure sounds like a bit more cam is called for :confused:

Are you running a hydraulic or a solid cam & lifters?

What kind of lift & duration is the present cam?

10.25-10.50 should be your new target. 10.99 is to easy after running 11.12 Friday with nothing being done to the dragster.

Good building & modifications this Winter.[;)

Very sad that I wasn't able to travel down there this year ... it was in the plans but some things came up that drained the bank account and made it inadvisable (that was my wife's word - means "you ain't going!) for me to go. Still hoping for next year. I'm glad that you and Dave seemed to have a good time.

Yes Dave, haven't seen you for a while.
Larry too. I never saw the Scout make a run.

Old28, Driver Dave says it hits 5,000 at about 1,000 feet. Solid lifter cam. .483/.504 lift 230/236 duration 109 lobe separation.

Bob, Is the motor built to run 5500-6000 rpm? That looks like a good solid cam but with it running out of steam at about 3/4 track you are going to have to bump the cam up a bit more. Are there a few cams for that slant 6 that will pull hard through 5750-6000 rpm. Getting some weight off the front end will for sure help those ET.[cl

Looking forward to what you come up with for a cam and how much weight you can get off the Bullet.:rolleyes:

Latest posts

Back