Old Tractor, Twin City.

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice of you to take your tractor to the beach for a picnic Mac.[ddd
Nothing worse then sandblasting with a little blaster and compressor. You might as well be throwing handfuls of sand at it.:eek:
Pop over to my post. I put up some Y-block pics just for you.:D
Torchie

Attachments

• attachment.jpg
    attachment.jpg
    3.3 KB · Views: 96
Yes Torchie, I pampered this old tractor by keeping it on a bed of sand, but it was 'NO' picnic, I tell you.
Backing up in the story again, at least twice these tractors had to be pried out of the frozen ground and moved. One of the guys was really rough, and the other, [me] was unlucky. We broke and bent stuff. The really rough guy pushed on the front of the rad with a bobcat until it slipped and bent the crank enough to push it into the radiator deeply, so we put in a new radiator core. [pic 1] wrecked hitch from the rough guy.
[pic 2] I straightened out the angle iron ring that was bent from pushing sideways on the tractor while it was frozen in the ground.
[pic 3] I broke this front wheel off lifting it out of the frost. The other wheel broke free first and I had a lot of upward pressure on the axle so the remaining wheel got a lot of sideways, twisted torque on it. The king pin broke. Here it is fixed.

Attachments

• Twincity and MM 003.jpg
    Twincity and MM 003.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_1894.jpg
    IMG_1894.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_1781.jpg
    IMG_1781.jpg
    123.3 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:
Lots of work in getting these machines restored. My dad did a Massey Harris 45 special That had damage too all 4 corners and the top and bottom. The joke was that it looked like it had fallen off a train car at speed. One of the strangest things was that the PTO was bent and twisted.

Lots of work in getting these machines restored. My dad did a Massey Harris 45 special That had damage too all 4 corners and the top and bottom. The joke was that it looked like it had fallen off a train car at speed. One of the strangest things was that the PTO was bent and twisted.

Maybe that was one of those tractors you saw flying thru the air in the old Tornado movies...:D

By coincidence I am fixing up a Massey-Harris too, a 1954 '33'. I got a good deal on it because the motor was missing, [completely missing]. The tractor was in pretty good shape other-wise. It's all apart and sandblasted, [by a real sandblaster]. And thar she sits, neglected, unfinished, unloved.

Attachments

• sand blasting 004.jpg
    sand blasting 004.jpg
    135 KB · Views: 29
I was talking about the breakage on this tractor and hitch was shown wrecked in a previous picture. Well here's what we did to fix that. 'Pic 1'
I've been working on the gas tanks for a while now so here's the story on that. "pic 2'. I sealed up the tank except for the small exit bung in the bottom and put my air chuck in there to pressure up the inside of the tank. I had run my hands over the tank top to get the low spots figured out and then marked them with a felt pen. With the tank pressured up as much as I dared I started hammering around the low spots with a plastic hammer.
'pic 3' is showing that I could not make the tank perfect with my air-pressure/hammer trick, but I got it better than before so I still had to put body filler on the top of the tank. Here is 'pic4' the tank in primer for the third time, with board-sanding in between. I had also cleaned the tank out, dried it, and then added Bill Hirsh Tank Sealer and sloshed it around in there.
'pic 5' is part way through the body work and priming of the 'starting' gas tank. In the old days the tractors ran on distillate, [a cheaper hydro carbon, more like diesel fuel], but the engine had to be started on gas, and maybe warmed up a bit first, then switched to distillate. There was an extra, small tank on most tractors to hold this 'starting' gas, but neither of my tractors had anything left of the small tanks so I got to make one in any shape I wanted. When I was hunting around for ideas I spied my pile of extra, modern, air cleaners and built my own small gas tank. 'pic 6' is the finished starter gas tank.

Attachments

• IMG_1952.jpg
    IMG_1952.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_1901.jpg
    IMG_1901.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_1934.jpg
    IMG_1934.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_1951.jpg
    IMG_1951.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_1893.jpg
    IMG_1893.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_1953.jpg
    IMG_1953.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 27
I have been neglecting the old tractor a wee bit lately but I'm back on it now. Here's some painting and re-installing pictures. :D There's a light at the end of the tunnel.

Attachments

• IMG_1908.jpg
    IMG_1908.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_1954.jpg
    IMG_1954.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_1955.jpg
    IMG_1955.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 21
According to Google, as a general rule, Gray is used in the US and Grey is used in the UK and other english speaking countrys.

According to Google, as a general rule, Gray is used in the US and Grey is used in the UK and other english speaking countrys.

Or. As my father in law was told in the US Navy. "if you see something Grey and it moves. Salute it. If it doesn't move. Paint it.".....:eek: :D
Torchie

Ah, Bruno, I wondered if that was the problem, [grey, gray]. I would have guessed wrong on who spelled it with an 'e' and who spelled it with an 'a'. We Canadians have a tough go of it, figuring out how to spell some words in the English language. I think we lean a wee bit to the UK's spelling out of pure defiance. Sorry.
Don't worry about cluttering up my thread Dr., I might reciprocate one day, and clutter up your column with some nonsense. [dr
Small, it seems like natural light so it's the real McCoy.
Torchie, it's an 'e' on the paint can.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back