Custom Mopar ????

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I thought about firing up my PhotoShop and giving it a shot, but realized I could have easily been trapped in there for hours.

I lean toward option 1, but I see three lines that are not quite aligned. The crown, the rain gutter, and the top of the window openings. I would take a bit more out of the crown over the backlite, and then move it all forward a bit more. Put some of the metal you would normally add to the roof after the chop ahead of the trunk. I know its not that simple. In other words, skinny up the "C" pillar a little more. I know that would likely eliminate the package trey, and mess with the back seat. But, beauty knows no pain. Right? :D

I understand what you are saying skip. I want to try to get it right with out moving the rear window forward, just laying it down from it's OG position first.
I may also try to use parts of the door tops from the 2 junkyard door I scrounged to reconfigure that quarter window.
I would use the wing vent portion of the door tops. These are from a Wayfarer (Dodge's sort of fastback) so they are already an 1 1/2" lower then my sedan door tops.
A lot of this will be better visualized once I get the real roof lowered.
Until then. Keep the comments coming as it helps to keep my brain juices flowing....
Torchie

Attachments

• IMG_4556.jpg
    IMG_4556.jpg
    128.2 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_4557.jpg
    IMG_4557.jpg
    152.4 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_4509.jpg
    IMG_4509.jpg
    135.9 KB · Views: 24
[cl [cl [cl :D :cool:
Thanks Dr.
That helps a lot. How much did you chop it?
Torchie

I chopped it by eye, 3" front, 4" back. ( I might be dead-on, I might be off an inch.)

I agree with the consensus, a bad chop looks squashed and my previous example looks like Monty Python's work on account of the heavy pancake batter.

I borrowed from Rik's examples and combined his with mine... crown restored, rear glass laid forward more than I had it, harsh square lump blended.

Near as I can tell, the length from A pillar to C pillar hasn't changed. I added Rik's mods but left the 1/4 window factory shaped, just to offer another look. It makes the roof look longer, but A to C is the same.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Torchie-drop crown.jpg
    Torchie-drop crown.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 79
Last edited:
Thanks Dr.:cool: :D [cl
My plan is that when I chop it, the roof will come forward to make up for the alignment on the A pillars. I will then lay down the rear window to check the flow. With as wide a sail panels as this roof has I should be able to make the quarter window the same length(From Pillar to pillar C) as it is now if I wish.
The plan is for more cutting tomorrow and If all goes well the roof should be loose.
Stay tuned and thanks for all the comments gang....[cl[cl
Torchie.

Ok sports fans. Here's the real deal.
Torchie

Attachments

• IMG_4568.jpg
    IMG_4568.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_4575.jpg
    IMG_4575.jpg
    113.6 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_4570.jpg
    IMG_4570.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_4573.jpg
    IMG_4573.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_4567.jpg
    IMG_4567.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_4566.jpg
    IMG_4566.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_4564.jpg
    IMG_4564.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_4565.jpg
    IMG_4565.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_4563.jpg
    IMG_4563.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_4561.jpg
    IMG_4561.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 35
Man O man, Torchie, I'd still be pacing back and forth, second guessing every line I'd drawn, and here you're half done. Whoooo.

I'd like it down another almost inch at the back, but I trust your eye for proportioning. You have the artists touch in those eyes of yours.
Keep up the good work.

Thanks for all the comments gang!
It's down about 4 inches in the back at this point Mac. I will adjust the top once I get the rear window laid forward which may or may not be today.LOL
And then I'm going to stare at it for a while.:eek:
I need to get the front end down as well so I may have to break out the torches and go old school and heat up the front coils.[ddd
More to come......
Torchie

You have arrived at the point where panic would set in for me. This is going to be a great learning experience.

I think I'd put some motor and tranny weight on it before I took a torch to the springs...but it's your deal...[P

I guess I use too many pronouns, when I said I'd like 'it' down a little more at the back, I meant the back of the roof should come down.

I agree with Small, the weight of the motor and tranny will bring the front end down some and you'll want the front 'up' to make the car a taildragger. All long cars from '49 up look much better with the front end higher. When you add fenderskirts the whole picture is amplified; then the rear end has to be low. Have you ever seen a '59 Ford with fenderskirts on that looked goofy as heck, well it's because the rear is a foot off the ground and the front is hanging down. Don't fall into that artistic abscess, Torchie.;) End of opinionated rant.

Keep on tinkering, Torchie.

I think I'd put some motor and tranny weight on it before I took a torch to the springs...but it's your deal...[P

There is a trans in it as well as about 200 lbs of sand bags on the front suspension now smallfoot. I would need about 200 lbs more to duplicate just the engine weight...:eek:

I guess I use too many pronouns, when I said I'd like 'it' down a little more at the back, I meant the back of the roof should come down.

I agree with Small, the weight of the motor and tranny will bring the front end down some and you'll want the front 'up' to make the car a taildragger. All long cars from '49 up look much better with the front end higher. When you add fenderskirts the whole picture is amplified; then the rear end has to be low. Have you ever seen a '59 Ford with fenderskirts on that looked goofy as heck, well it's because the rear is a foot off the ground and the front is hanging down. Don't fall into that artistic abscess, Torchie.;) End of opinionated rant.

Keep on tinkering, Torchie.

I've been in that abyss all my life Mac....[ddd
I understood your "down in the back" comment as meaning the roof. I have already put 3 " lowering blocks on the rear as well as about 100 lbs of sand bag to compensate for a tank full of gas.
The "Tradtional" style speed boat stance was to only have about an inch of wheel cover showing under the lower edge of the skirt. Some of the old ones have had the backed dropped 8 inches or more which usually required frame mods.
Then the front was brought down about two inches either by cutting the coils or "Torching" them. Many of the OG customs had issues with front tires rubbing.
Thanks for the comments gang. Keep em' coming.
Torchie

Ok. Lets call this Version 1
Top is just tacked in place to hold the height.
Rear window has been laid forward, but not dropped down due to the trunk lid hinge springs.
The quarter window rear corner is mocked up into it's basic position. In this configuration the distance from the B pillar to the rear corner of the quarter window is shortened.
And a before and after pic of the "Torchie Lean."
Lets hear some thoughts.....
Torchie

Attachments

• IMG_4591.jpg
    IMG_4591.jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_4579.jpg
    IMG_4579.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_4593.jpg
    IMG_4593.jpg