Hi, my name is brian

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well we tinkered with this truck a little bit today, and oh boy does it have a story. I'll probably start a little build thread on this. But it looks good

Attachments

• IMG_20230914_194412643_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230914_194412643_HDR.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 17
So over the last couple 3 weeks I have bought and sold probably 5 Ford pickups anywhere between 67 and 79. Haven't really shown all of them but yesterday I picked up two bump side style Fords one was a 67 one was a 71. Within 2 hours we had the one that was a complete truck running and driving. Then about an hour later I had a guy who was a good friend of ours and owns a nice vintage wrecking yard interested in the two of them. So I did what any sane hot rodder would do and drove a truck that had been sitting for 15 years and we got running and driving that day 40 miles with my buddy in tow in my Duramax hauling the second truck to work out a deal. I kind of documented it a little bit in this video we ended up going to look at a K5 blazer for a trade but the Blazer ended up being a little rougher than we were told. So we ended up with a super cool 71 bump side four wheel drive highboy Ford. I've actually been eyeing this truck for a while but I thought he was a little high on the price. But he likes to work out horse trade deals and I think we both came out Fair on this one. The high boy was missing a couple parts like glove box door ashtray the front fender has got some rot in it. But in the deal we worked out that he was going to throw in the parts we needed from the wrecking yard to make it whole again

https://youtu.be/N7Hpwnj4h2E

Attachments

• IMG_20231006_132713424_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20231006_132713424_HDR.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_20231005_161056431_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20231005_161056431_HDR.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_20231006_170204660_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20231006_170204660_HDR.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 5
Well I have fallen off the wagon again. I sold my green 71 highboy and bought a 73 highboy and a 76 2wd cruise/ air truck.

Attachments

• IMG_20240127_153305566.jpg
    IMG_20240127_153305566.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20240126_170414337.jpg
    IMG_20240126_170414337.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
In my honest opinion, anymore I have no need for all the stuff they cram into new vehicles. I guess maybe I'm a minimalist! I was talking with my buddy going down to the show yesterday about cars and trucks like we all do. He's a car guy too but has an affinity for some of those high dollar sports cars. He's been known to work on things like Ferraris and old mahogany boats at the same time being a general contractor and still able to build scratch made knives. We were discussing working on the newer stuff and how it differs from the pre-computer cars. We saw quite a few brand new vehicles on the way down to the show and commented on their looks, the power, and the prices too. I told him then, even if I won it or was given one, I'd probably sell it and buy as many 70s and earlier trucks and call it good. Maybe anybody seeing me out and about would think I drive junk. Ok! I'll drive mine anywhere without worry that one won't get me back. I can't say that about a new one. On the basic things that mine needs to run and the things that are likely to fail, I have replacement parts with me to get back on the road. There are so many things on the new stuff that we have no control over that the vehicle itself is what takes itself out of service. If I had a scanner, if I could use a scanner, if I had one with me then all I could do is id the trouble and then start looking for somewhere to acquire the parts to fix it. Could it be done on the side of the road?

I agree. I like the old stuff. It's a driving experience. The new cars drive you. I think there is a disconnect there now. I will go take a drive just to drive. People drive cause they have too, not cause they want to

I agree. I like the old stuff. It's a driving experience. The new cars drive you. I think there is a disconnect there now. I will go take a drive just to drive. People drive cause they have too, not cause they want to
Boy do I agree with that statement...if I never had to drive again I would be ok with that...I hope they have self driving cars perfected before I leave this realm. I would love to punch in an address and the vehicle drives you there...now that would be fun...sorta like the old Star Trek show..."Beam me up Scotty"...

MikeC

Boy do I agree with that statement...if I never had to drive again I would be ok with that...I hope they have self driving cars perfected before I leave this realm. I would love to punch in an address and the vehicle drives you there...now that would be fun...sorta like the old Star Trek show..."Beam me up Scotty"...

MikeC
I think maybe you misunderstood what I was saying. I hate new cars I hate the self-driving aspect, I want to drive the car I want to be in control. Not the other way around.

I drove for a living for about 40 years, but I’d still rather drive than ride passenger! I don’t ride with many folks.
I like the convenience of FI and computer controlled stuff, but I despise having to work on them! That’s why anything I build or put together gets a carb and usually a points ignition. I like to keep it simple as I can. But I do love AC, power steering and brakes!

I drove for a living for about 40 years, but I’d still rather drive than ride passenger! I don’t ride with many folks.
I like the convenience of FI and computer controlled stuff, but I despise having to work on them! That’s why anything I build or put together gets a carb and usually a points ignition. I like to keep it simple as I can. But I do love AC, power steering and brakes!
There's nothing wrong with having AC power brakes or power steering. Those aren't electronic. That little orange and white Ford has all three of those it even has cruise control but it's all vacuum operated. I will literally get in one of my vehicles and just go drive for the afternoon. Maybe by I should have driven for a living

Last year my wife and I put nearly 9,000 miles on our 49 Dodge truck. Last Sunday we did a140 mile cruise for ice cream, at a chain store 60 miles away (we have one of the same chain stores here in town). It was all about the drive. We are retired, we don't need much of an excuse to jump in the truck and go someplace, unless the weather is really crappy.

I don' have a problem with electronics, but I keep them limited to the era from which I have an understanding of their function, which ended around the turn of the century. We have been completely EFI since the last truck with a carb got wrecked in 2012. The EFI started 5 or 6 years before that.

The newest vehicle we have here is an 04 production model, and we have that because when we bought it in 05, it was a necessity. I don't work on it, and it has less then 150K miles in 20 years. Most of those miles were put on those first 3 years of our ownership and were because of my wife's job.

Latest posts

Back