Jeep Engine Build

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, if it didn't increase my happiness, I wouldn't do it.

One thing I'm not happy about is illustrated in the first pic. This, coming a day after my son called from Florida saying his job ended and the family was moving back to Minni. So there's no reason to go to Florida for two months. The little woman is bumming. My viewpoint is while I like the warm weather I now have more building time and more money. Don't say that to her.
With the engine offset to the right the inverted "V" crossmember at the firewall needed some modification. Except for some welding, that's done.

Attachments

• snow 002.jpg
    snow 002.jpg
    139.2 KB · Views: 23
  • snow 003.jpg
    snow 003.jpg
    158.1 KB · Views: 22
  • snow 001.jpg
    snow 001.jpg
    166.9 KB · Views: 23
Yes, if it didn't increase my happiness, I wouldn't do it.

One thing I'm not happy about is illustrated in the first pic. This, coming a day after my son called from Florida saying his job ended and the family was moving back to Minni. So there's no reason to go to Florida for two months. The little woman is bumming. My viewpoint is while I like the warm weather I now have more building time and more money. Don't say that to her.
With the engine offset to the right the inverted "V" crossmember at the firewall needed some modification. Except for some welding, that's done.

Good progress bob.
My oldest Daughter is down in Fla and her job may or may not be going away. On furlough right now. So she's in a bit off a holding pattern.
She talked about coming back home to us(Which we would have no problem with) but that lasted about a minute. Nothing really here for her Job wise and if she did find something outside her career the wages around here aren't great.
Hoping all works out for your son.
Torchie

First snow here today as well. (It's early for us, but not unheard of.)

I'm sorry Florida has dried up for you and your family. I'm selfishly happy however, that we're not missing you and your builds for two months...

That first pic made me draw up and shiver! Glad we seldom get any of that stuff! Long range forecast is saying we should have a warmer and milder winter this year. I hope they’re right!

I'll miss the break from cold, snowy winter. We've been to Florida enough that we just live there and don't do tourist stuff. Lots of people. lots of traffic. Long drive to get there and back.

The Crosley sported 29 1/2" tall by 10 1/2" wide slicks which is taller and wider than I need with the Jeep engine. I don't have shorter tires except on the Bantam. They're drag radials and don't fit the nostalgia vibe that the Crosley will portray. For mock up I'll use the shorter drag radials. The car sat very low with the tall slicks so I made some spacers for the springs to make up for the shorter tire.

With the move of the engine and trans to the right I had to relocate a couple floor braces and reweld.

Almost done with the first coat of blue.

Attachments

• Blue 001.jpg
    Blue 001.jpg
    122.7 KB · Views: 19
  • Blue 002.jpg
    Blue 002.jpg
    159.7 KB · Views: 21
I slid the rear end under the frame with the shorter drag radials on it. They are wider than the slick I'll eventually put on it. Now to get it dead square.

Pretty much done port matching the intake manifold. the internal ramps that lead up to the port injection bosses are really thin and I ground through 3 of them. Used JB Weld on the outside of those ports and on the inside of all the ports to fill in the cavities where the injectors intruded into the port. Got a few remaining lumps to grind out and then have to smooth out the JB Weld. Hard to get pics of that with my limited photographic skills.

Attachments

• rear 001.jpg
    rear 001.jpg
    150.5 KB · Views: 24
  • rear 007.jpg
    rear 007.jpg
    157.6 KB · Views: 21
  • rear 002.jpg
    rear 002.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 20
  • rear 005.jpg
    rear 005.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 17
Yes Dozer, these old inflexible bones don't do well anymore. The little button on the top of my cap frequently gets driven into my scalp. Right in the bald spot, leaving a nice scab.

As some of you might remember, this car behaved badly half way down the drag strip. So I've been looking for the cause, or causes. First, I installed the four link bars on the rear end exactly as they were before I disassembled the car. Then I dropped plum bobs down the middle of the front and rear crossmembers and drew a line on a piece of tape on the floor the full length. Then I dropped a plum bob down each end of the rear axle. By placing carpenter squares on the centerline out to the plum bobs I was able to determine the rear axle was cocked a slight amount.

Attachments

• centerline 001.jpg
    centerline 001.jpg
    149.5 KB · Views: 22
  • centerline 002.jpg
    centerline 002.jpg
    156.3 KB · Views: 22
  • centerline 003.jpg
    centerline 003.jpg
    172.8 KB · Views: 20
That was probably it. It was pushing to one side, the front tires were scrubbing trying to take it the direction they were going, so instant instability at higher speeds. You probably wouldn't ever notice it at low speeds, but going faster magnified it. Good catch Bob. I think I mentioned it earlier when you said the driveshaft wasn't centered. Should be straight as an arrow now.[cl

I mated the transmission to a bare block with the adapter and stuffed them into the frame. There are some new clearance and alignment problems to solve. The voice inside my head is saying, "Go slow Bob. Get it right". Won't be able to move the engine and trans a full 2" to the passenger side. I'll take what I can get.

The good part is the block fits inside the front crossmember.

Attachments

• in 002.jpg
    in 002.jpg
    172.3 KB · Views: 18
  • in 004.jpg
    in 004.jpg
    133.4 KB · Views: 19
  • in 003.jpg
    in 003.jpg
    156.7 KB · Views: 17
  • in 001.jpg
    in 001.jpg
    165.1 KB · Views: 17
Doc, still getting things lined up. Will add the spacers later. The bars originally had urethane ends which were wider.

The rear end is in alignment in all directions. Worked on engine and trans placement today. Had to make a new trans crossmember with a drop in it. The whole works will be 1 1/4" left of center, looking from the front. Pretty sure the intake manifold I've worked on so much won't fit. Sticks out too far. Probably will make one from scratch.

Attachments

• x member 001.jpg
    x member 001.jpg
    143.3 KB · Views: 13
Finished the trans mount then it was on to 'other" things dictated by "other" people. After supper I roughed out the motor mounts. Should look a little less crude when done. The engine and trans are solid mounted. Drag racing only you know.

Attachments

• mount 001.jpg
    mount 001.jpg
    125.9 KB · Views: 24
  • mount 002.jpg
    mount 002.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 23
Motor mounts are almost completed. A tad more welding and a way to connect to the frame. Next, the driveshaft hoop, which I moved toward the passenger side will have to be moved again. I went too far.

Attachments

• mm 001.jpg
    mm 001.jpg
    153.3 KB · Views: 23
  • mm 002.jpg
    mm 002.jpg
    125.7 KB · Views: 22
  • mm 003.jpg
    mm 003.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 21
  • mm 004.jpg
    mm 004.jpg
    147 KB · Views: 20
2nd Law Of Physics

"Two objects cannot occupy the same space at the same time".
As the pics show, the top tube is in the space where the manifold wants to sit.
I have not decided whether to go over, under or wide. OrI could put a very short top tube on that side. Probably will go over and wide.The other question is should I leave the other tube alone or make them both the same. After two attempts the driveshaft hoop is in the right place.

Attachments

• inter 001.jpg
    inter 001.jpg
    150 KB · Views: 25
  • inter 002.jpg
    inter 002.jpg
    146.5 KB · Views: 23
  • inter 003.jpg
    inter 003.jpg
    149.3 KB · Views: 24
  • inter 004.jpg
    inter 004.jpg