I'm Gonna Build A Dragster!

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
2009_0218trk0008.jpg

I'm thinking of running a tube where you see the green tape, to stiffen the Model T frame. What do you think of the look with the extra tube?

My input, for whatever it's worth. Add the rail for sure. The fit will take some time but the design calls for it. The engine and trans will be taking the brunt of the flex and you'll have too much stress on the trans case without it. I would suggest some diagnal supports in between the uprights also. If your going to run it on a track, they will require them anyway. Very cool build. I love to see the old stuff on the track. That's what racing is, old tin. Keep up the good work.

9-2.jpg

I've recieved many suggestions regarding forward tubes. Most of the experienced altered racers think I don't need them for such a low powered car. I do have the diagonal braces but intend to put them in last, so I don't have to work around them as I continue to build the chassis.
Above is a shot of the chassis I built for my Fiat, which morphed into a Crosley. The bent tubes are from Chris Alston Chassisworks. The rest I built. This one passes NHRA tech. Thanks for your interest in this build and keep the suggestions coming.

2009_0301trk0004.jpg

Got a nylon rubbing block for the steering cross shaft. Also a firewall and most of the steering strung together.

2009_0301trk0006.jpg

Driver's view of home made butterfly wheel carved from scrap iron. It will be mounted with a quick disconnect. I tried sitting in it and making motor noises, but after all these years with sbc's I can't make a Slant Six sound!:confused: Using a drag strip calculator, if this thing has 300hp & weighs 1500lbs, it could be well into the 10's. Add a second for old guy shifting ineptness:eek: and it still could be a fun ride.:D

Man I wish I was there, I do great motor noises.
I have not checked this thread since yesterday, I thought you would be driving it by now.
Steering wheel is as killer as the rest of the build... you go!

Bob, you are such a bad influence :D . I am resisting the urge to build one of these, until I catch up with the other projects. Looks like fun.

2009_0304trk0001.jpg

Finally came up with a unique intake set up.:eek:
dmw56, thanks for the youtube slant six sounds. That one sounds like it has a lot of cam.:)
Todd, we need to get a herd of these things around here so we can race each other.:D

2009_0306trk0001.jpg

I had to add an upright behind the forward cage hoop to be NHRA legal. While I was at it, I made the diagonals and K brace.

2009_0306trk0003.jpg

The wishbone mount had to be modified with more drop in order to get the caster at 10 degrees. Also built the drag link today.

Wow! Just read through the whole thread, great build you've got going for sure :D

Must....resist...urrrrrge....tooooo...buillllllld FED! Your thread isn't helping any...lol

Can't wait for the updates :cool:

Latest posts

Back