CAD programs?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tripper

Older and more rusted every day!
I'm really getting into designing my own brackets & other pieces & wonder what CAD programs anyone's using. Being a cheap old retired kat... prefer a free one!

BoB

A bit of additional info:
QCAD is 2D, and pretty powerful for a free program. (The Pro version is also only 2D, but at a very reasonably price, just 33 EUROs.)
Sketchup is 3D. (The Pro version is around $650.00 US.)
SolidEdge offers a free 2D version as well. That has the advantage of having an upgrade path to 3D, if you decided you need it. My understanding is that SE is pretty close to SolidWorks in the way it operates, but I don't have experience with this.
Turbo CAD has various versions that start at around $250.00 or so, up to the full version that is around $1,700.00 US. (The latter includes lots of machinist type stuff, like drawing threads on a bold, with the correct pitch, etc.)

Thanks guys... I'll ck those out!!! Simple & cheap... that's what the ol Tripper's lookin' for! [cl

BoB

I've been using AutoCAD professionally for about 25 years. It is unbelievably awesome, but incredibly expensive :(

I do use Draftsight on a Linux machine I have occasionally, it's free and pretty damn good. I can't think of anything you'd need to do to produce brackets and such that it wouldn't be able to handle.

Latest posts

Back