Trading time again

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

53 stickfigure

Ok, traded the 53 chevy for the v8 s10, traded the s10 for the 70 c10. Now, im going into something ive never owned before, a buick. Went and looked at a 72 buick skylark 350 4 door and a running 72 parts car. I was kinda leary at first until i drove it. Not a real powerhouse but road so nice. The guy who has it dont know much about cars and im not sure if its a 350, 400, or 455. It has an aluminum intake with no brand markings, finned aluminum valve covers, headers. He said it said stage 1 on something but i didnt look for it. Im pretty sure the engine has been out. Both are 4 doors and both run. I know they aren't worth much in book value, especially being 4 doors, but both cars have perfect interiors. I dont know anything about buick engines and hope someone can shed some light on them. To top it all off, the a/c works in both cars. Ived owned big block pontiacs but never a buick.

Buick 350 has six valve cover bolts, 455 has five.

400 430 and 455 blocks have the displacement cast at the rear, along with the regular block casting number.

Stage 1 was never marked (or cast) on any factory part.

I've never had a Buick, but I rode in a Stage 1 GS a couple times. I have had a 350 and a 455 Olds... all three would haul the mail, but the Buick Stage 1 455 was a MONSTER!

Im kinda excited about the trade, mainly because of the parts car. I get one i can drive and an engine and tranny that i can use to start building another rat rod i want to build from scratch. I plan on fabricating everything from ground up and this will save me tons of money. I need to check the valve cover bolts, like i said, im not familiar at all with buicks, but they both sound really strong.

the aluminum intake is what has got me wondering what you have. there is only two companies that made the aluminum intake for a small block buford that is posten and ta performance and one of them has closed down. check out v8buick.com lots of info. their was a man who build a couple intakes for the 350 but they are two piece. their is a difference on the middle exhaust port area as well, one has a dip above the ports (big block) and the other does not (small block). also make sure the dizzy is in the front of the motor. pics when you can. when we say sm and big blocks there really isn't much difference by looking at them. a big block with aluminum intake weights about the same as a small block chevy.

Skylark will probably be a 350, kinda doubt it being a 400 but I guess it's possible, and really doubt a 455 being in there unless it was swapped in.
Not a real popular car, especially being a four door. Basically Buick's version of the Chevelle platform. Mid level family car.

I wouldn't trade a 70 pickup for both of them, but that's just me. Pickups are always easier to sell than 4 door cars.

Got the buick today and WOW! I can't believe how nice a ride these cars are. I can see why old ladies drive them. Im pretty sure everything inside the engine is stock. It has headers, edelbrock carb and a stage 1 aluminum intake. I found the intake online from a place called ta performance. I can't believe someone actually paid $400 for an intake. Im going after the parts car tomorrow. I should be able to profit from the parts car. Has 4 centerline 15x8 rims and a great running buick 350 with a 400th. Im going to switch out the tan interior with the black from the parts car and sell or scrap everything else. I might keep the engine and tranny for a future project but who knows.

Attachments

• 20170906_182329.jpg
    20170906_182329.jpg
    122 KB · Views: 32
  • 20170906_182344.jpg
    20170906_182344.jpg
    147.7 KB · Views: 34
  • 20170906_182427.jpg
    20170906_182427.jpg
    130.8 KB · Views: 37
  • 20170906_182517.jpg
    20170906_182517.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 29
Went and got the parts car last night and the guy lost the keys. I tried to pop off the shift linkage to get it in neutral but ended up taking a grinder and cutting it in to. The guy has 2 project cars and dont own a flat tip screwdriver, pliers, or a 1/2in wrench, but had a brand new grinder still in the box. Pulled it up on the trailer with one of our crane trucks. Its amazing how much these crane trucks can lift. I might have the parts car sold, i need the cash and the one im driving really dont need anything but im all excited to start tearing into it.

Got the buick today and WOW! I can't believe how nice a ride these cars are. I can see why old ladies drive them. Im pretty sure everything inside the engine is stock. It has headers, edelbrock carb and a stage 1 aluminum intake. I found the intake online from a place called ta performance. I can't believe someone actually paid $400 for an intake. Im going after the parts car tomorrow. I should be able to profit from the parts car. Has 4 centerline 15x8 rims and a great running buick 350 with a 400th. Im going to switch out the tan interior with the black from the parts car and sell or scrap everything else. I might keep the engine and tranny for a future project but who knows.

i knew when you said sm block it would be a ta or posten (spelling). if you get a chance check out v8buick.com. something else about buicks is some use a switch pitch converter in them th400's. real easy to wire a switch so you can keep it in the high stall for a little fun.

Latest posts

Back