1937 Chevy Coupe

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
nice

attachment.php

purty[dr

Later:cool:

Thanks guys.

The flat bed tankers do look difficult to build.

Yeah, they were a royal pain... though we did have a crew of legal midgets to weld the inside. :D

Thank you Doc, for the explanations.
I remember seeing lots of those squashed tankers with loads of lumber on top, around here.

You're welcome, Mac. I'd imagine they were a common sight in your neck of the woods!

Boy, y'all have some strange trailers up there! There used to be some guys that came down from Indiana a lot with grain hopper bottom trailers. When they unloaded their grain, the sides and ends folded flat and it made a flatbed trailer. They would then take Southern pine lumber back north on the trip home. Sometimes they would haul steel sheets or flats and angles. They had to use cross pieces with either type of load, the folded trailer sides wouldn't support any weight so they couldn't haul coils or anything in the center of the trailers. They eventually went to regular flats and hopper bottoms and did away with the folding side trailers. I think they were Alloy brand name, or that may have been part of the name.

Folding side, hopper bottoms sound interesting.

We built more conventional designs than anything, Bama. It's only because the company was willing to design, engineer and build full-on custom orders that we made any of the freakazoid stuff. (Those days are long gone!)

Last edited:
Back on the coupe...

Today we started welding the chassis... finally! [;) [;) [;) [;) :D

My bad knees and back firmly dictate... no more "out of position" work if it can be avoided. :mad:

So, we'll flip the chassis... vertical, upside down, vertical and back to flat until everything is fit and fried golden brown!

attachment.php

Attachments

• chassis2.jpg
    chassis2.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 51
We got some hours in today. :)

Back on its right ear...

attachment.php

I welded most everything I could in this position before running out of gas (physically and literally) so, still a handful of beads to run.

Along the way, I ground and smoothed some outside corners and v butts...

attachment.php

I burned more wire today than I have in years... laid some average beads, some beauties and few unspeakable turds...

attachment.php

Some things are better left unseen. I'll leave you with my award and a promise to provide better pictures next weekend!

attachment.php

Attachments

• chassis1.JPG
    chassis1.JPG
    204.2 KB · Views: 51
  • chassis4.JPG
    chassis4.JPG
    173.2 KB · Views: 51
  • chassis3.JPG
    chassis3.JPG
    156 KB · Views: 52
  • chassis Golden-Turd-Award .jpg
    chassis Golden-Turd-Award .jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 51
Doc, you wouldn't have that award if I'd have submitted some of my welding. [;):eek:[ddd:p

One of the Custom Car sites I'm on just had a contest for the most beautiful weld.
Being the contrarian that I am I think we should have a contest for the worst weld..
I'll see your welds Mac, and raise them with mine.:eek: [;)[;)[;) [ddd
[P [P [P
Torchie

looks good to me!

Ever now and then I'll run a bead and swear someone else did it :rolleyes:[ddd:eek:

[cl[cl

One of the Custom Car sites I'm on just had a contest for the most beautiful weld.
Being the contrarian that I am I think we should have a contest for the worst weld..

lets do it! I laid some real boogers when my gas was wrong. sometimes I forget to grind off the coating on the 11ga I get too, thats a fast way to have a gorgeous weld that penetrates 0%.

Latest posts

Back