1937 chevy truck 3/4 ton

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
good luck with the surgery. I think your airbags are on the wrong end:D

thanks

I have some 3/16 circle plates to weld onto the pipe to make it flat for the air bags
and some extra 1.25 dom to use as the bottom supports on the axle
and to connect in the middle up top

and I havn't figured out what brand of bags I want to go with up front or if I even want to put air ride up front

if I do go ahead and do the front, I'm looking at some firestone 224c aka 2600lb bags or
some slam bag re-7's or re-8's, but the SS7 or 8 would work also

and the biggest valves I want to go with will be 3/8's
but 1/4in valves would work out better,
3/8's would be alittle on the fast side for this truck, at 150psi
1/4in valves would lift the truck without giving me the feeling its trying to hop
when I had my old 2000 gmc with slam bags all around and smc 3/8's valves, on 200psi the front felt like it wanted to hop, I know it wasn't but the lift speed was just crazy fast and the drop felt like the truck would slam the frame on the ground

with those monster size bags I have for the rear of this truck, I'm looking at 20-40psi for ride height, with the stock mil spec bed
anymore and the ride wont be nice

but I do know I don't want this truck laying frame or laying running boards on the ground

dropped a hair would be nice

well, the surgery went well and I'm just kicking back

slowly driving myself crazy from not being able to do anything,

but I did find a used pair of 1994 Cerwin Vega V12-b's for $30 for the pair in San Diego, had my brother load and unload them into the car for me
the lady said they had new woofers in them and bad crossovers,
ended up being the crossovers are good and the woofers are blown
so those speakers are back in Tucson with me now

I found a Samson servo 120 amp on cragslist for $50, picked it up
and then a Nady 900 watt amp on cragslist for $50 as well, picked it up
but havn't tested the Nady amp yet, its still in the car, its to heavy for my wife to bring inside, so I have to wait for my neighbor to get home to unload it later on tonight

my dad gave me a brand new 40 gallon aftermarket late 80's chevy suburban fuel tank,
and its going to fit nice behind the axle on the 37

and I have a stock 2000 chevy Silverado fuel pump/sending unit,
I need to see if that fuel assy will fit into the late 80's suburban fuel tank
but I have to wait a few more weeks before I can do that

I'm finally getting ready to work on this truck again

I'm 8 months post op on my left hip now, my right hip is doing ok
its one of those things that I'm just going to have to live with
hip pain the rest of my life, I'm ok with that

I ended up building a 1972 ford f250, finished it in May, or finished my part of it....it started out as a simple motor swap, that turned into a monster

new parts that went into it
motor, trans, driveshaft, flex plate, tc, trans cooler lines, motor mounts, trans mount, steering gearbox, steering pump, brake master, new wiring for the motor
and I cleaned the exhaust manifolds, frame, inner fender wells, firewall,

I painted the motor, exhaust manifolds, radiator

every old part that was reused had to be cleaned, sand blasted

I got the work done at the end of May, and then went to Hawaii for two weeks

so now I have a few other side projects going on, but those will be done in a few days, and I have to clean my garage again, and I can start working on my 37 ones more

I plan to clean the garage this up coming week, and start body work on the cab some more next weekend

I don't have final pictures of what I did to the 72 ford f250 because the lcd screen on my iPhone went out and I lost all the data from it

but I have posted a few pictures of the work I did

4l80 and ford 9 by joa kwin, on Flickr

4l80e by joa kwin, on Flickr

since the mini is at the body shop for the next 6 weeks or so

im going to start messing around with the 37 again

I picked up a 4l80e from a 04 3500 with 57K miles on it for $550 out in San Diego

my brother got this ford 9 inch housing new a few years ago for his 55 chevy gasser, the housing is cut down to 50.5 inches, he wanted to put some wide tires under that car but then blew up his 427
and then got a new 2014 hd dyna and the gasser got put on the side

and then built the motor in the 2014 hd dyna and stuck a 454 into the gasser and then blew up his 5 speed manual and then the car sat for a year,
and then he put a turbo 400 into it, and then 6 months later the 400 started to slip, so he swapped in another 400 and then 12 months later it started to slip and then its kind of sat for a bit

and now the 2014 hd dyna is getting a frame swap to make it lighter, its being turned into a 91 fxr efi twin cam, the swap will shave off right around 100 lbs, witch is huge

53843150_2426132770732424_6985287690128195584_n by joa kwin, on Flickr

this is the 2014 dyna drivetrain in a 91 fxr frame with efi

its still in the build process right now, but wiring is going in for the last time in a few days
it all fits good now

the motor has cams and tune and valves in the head, chain drive, he says the motor is good for around 100-105hp and around 110-115tq

today's project is clean the garage so that I can remove the 37 cab

I plan to get the cab into the middle of the garage on jack stands so that I can work on the metal work

and in a few days when the trans parts come in, install those and get the 4l80e on the motor and build a new trans cross member

cab corner by joa kwin, on Flickr

I plan to fix this cab corner today

since no one makes much for replacement panels, everything is going to be on me

mini is in the body shop for the next 5-6 weeks, so that gives me time to work on cab metal work and get the 4l80e into the frame

im going to be swapping the engine oil pan for a stock ls3 pan and pick up and tray

it wont hang as low and it holds more oil

plus I ordered new crank seals for the motor, front and rear, new water pump

ive ordered my efi kit for it

55470354_10157071903206684_3917003211810013184_n by joa kwin, on Flickr

I got the cab corners sheet metal almost done on the two sides,

the right side I have to build the inner brace and weld in

the left side needs part of the corner box made and also the inner brace

I shaved most of the firewall, a few more holes to go, I removed the old wire port in the center and it had some rust under it, so I clean that up, and I have to cut out some sheet metal for that still

but today I ran out of welding wire, so I had to stop working to go get more

so when I got back, I wanted to work on cleaning up the last bit of stuff on the trans

i went and saw the mini on Friday at the body shop, its looking good

I got some motor parts in today

new front and rear main seals, new water pump, iat and gm map sensor

I have a new off of a ls3 crate motor, oil pan and tray and pick up tube coming down from phx, the guy is going to ship that Monday

my efi kit is in the mail and will be in next Wednesday

spacer with flexplate will be in Tuesday

I still need to figure out what im going to do about the crank pulley, I was thinking about getting a junkyard one and then a new bolt from a chevy dealer or online

still need to get flexplate to crank bolts, may just go to the dealer for that

I still need to order or go to the junkyard to find a late 80's chevy sub fuel sender, and then order a ls truck fuel pump to put on that sender and the fittings to convert that sender to -6an

I picked up a drive by cable tb Friday, it cleaned up real nice

55483143_163979191167019_9166509676332843008_n by joa kwin, on Flickr

junkyard tb

I started working on the front side of the engine

I pulled the fan and water pump set up

and I started to pull the main balancer crank pulley set up, but I need a 3 arm puller thats made for this style of engine

im going to rent it tomorrow

I plan to pull the timing cover, I want to clean it up and paint it

and I have a new seal to go into the timing cover

I also plan to change out the tc front pump seal in a few mins

I have a new filter and pan gasket but im not sure if I will get to that today or not

Latest posts

Back