1937 Chevy Coupe

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't have a mig or tig set up. What I can't stick weld I do with a torch. I have rewelded a lot of pretty welds that had no penetration. Pretty welds make any project look much better but give me strength over "just" pretty. Doc I think you welds look great it's obvious this ain't your first rodeo. I really like your work

Doc, you wouldn't have that award if I'd have submitted some of my welding.

I'll take your word for it, Mac. (If you're feeling left out, I'd be happy to send you a reasonable facsimile... but you'll have to polish it yourself. ;))

One of the Custom Car sites I'm on just had a contest for the most beautiful weld.
Being the contrarian that I am I think we should have a contest for the worst weld. Torchie

Apparently, I can qualify in both categories in the same hour! I take pride in my work, but it seems I'm losing my touch... could be a tumor...

Seriously, it's becoming increasing obvious I can't do what I used to do all day, every day. I can't twist, bend, see or left-hand anything like I could a few short years ago. I'm just saying, it's frustrating when I know I can do better...

I'll see your welds Mac, and raise them with mine.
Torchie

I'm sending you a package as well, Torchie. Welcome to the club. :D

Ever now and then I'll run a bead and swear someone else did it

I'm sure all of mine were done by somebody else...

If you're looking for an anonymous culprit, you can blame me, Mac or Torchie. :p

looks good to me!

lets do it! I laid some real boogers when my gas was wrong. sometimes I forget to grind off the coating on the 11ga I get too, that's a fast way to have a gorgeous weld that penetrates 0%.

Thanks for the compliment, joe. I remember your gas problem. :eek: :D

Frustration with my inability to do what I used to be able to do is one of the reasons that I sold the custom truck. Crank
Now here I am all over again with another project that is way more work then that truck was and a lot father away from being done.
I guess you can add memory loss to my growing list of infirmities.[ddd
Keep on keeping on.... Till they throw dirt on you or light the fire under you.
Torchie

I don't have a mig or tig set up. What I can't stick weld I do with a torch. I have rewelded a lot of pretty welds that had no penetration. Pretty welds make any project look much better but give me strength over "just" pretty. Doc I think you welds look great it's obvious this ain't your first rodeo. I really like your work

Thanks phil.

I know exactly what you mean. I've seen pretty welds that are nothing more than a shapely run of "cold lap"... on the other hand, I've seen pretty ugly welds you couldn't break with an atom bomb.

I guarantee you, I've burned some welds that looked like a bucket full of mashed ash holes, but I knew they wouldn't fail...

Frustration with my inability to do what I used to be able to do is one of the reasons that I sold the custom truck. Crank
Now here I am all over again with another project that is way more work then that truck was and a lot father away from being done.
I guess you can add memory loss to my growing list of infirmities.[ddd
Keep on keeping on.... Till they throw dirt on you or light the fire under you.
Torchie

I hear you loud and clear. When I joined this forum (eight years ago) there wasn't much I couldn't do... since then, I've had some health issues which I can only describe as degenerative... anyhow, I like to say, "I'm physically retarded" and let people figure it out from there.:D

I know I'm preaching to the choir, but I'm not throwing in the towel anytime soon. As long as I live and breathe, I'll love cars and I'll have my hand in the hobby one way or another...

sammy hagar "what used ta take 2 hours now takes all day"

lookin' good doc[cl

Later :cool:

Excellent quote! Thanks, skull!

I agree with all of the above. :) I welded for a living for quite awhile, and was pretty darned good at it. Nowadays, I have days where I am either laying down pretty beads or some that make me wanna throw up my hands and holler at the gods...depending on whether I've had anything to eat or drink in the last few minutes. :rolleyes: Seriously, I can sympathize with the physical retardation issue. I've been spending nine hour days standing next to a conveyor watching potatoes roll by, cutting them into chunks the right size for planting.Yesterday I had a hard time walking to the truck to drive home.:( But it's car parts money, so I'll keep doing it as long as I can.

That weld looks great to me, Doc, just like everything else you've done on that car. [cl[cl

As long as I live and breathe, I'll love cars and I'll have my hand in the hobby one way or another...

ATTA BOY DOC !!!!! I'm withyou brother...[cl[cl

Used to put in 12-16 hrs a day not that long ago, now 3-4 hrs
seems to put a hurting on the ol man[S :eek:

For me, it's been keeping it physical. I'm probably more active than most of my friends 10 years younger. Last weekend my buddy Junior and I dug his footer by hand in 5 hours and he was cussing me for getting up after dinner to go finish up before dark. Those things that stand in your way are the senses that keep getting older and older and don't work quite as well as new. I'm hard of hearing...loud cars,trucks, guns,etc. I can smell ok. I can still feel through my calloused hands. Eyesight? Losing more and more every year it seems. Trying to weld now is trying to see if I gotta do that weld over again...yeah, you know the one. Looks like a turd trying to crawl in a ditch....[ddd:rolleyes::D

Your work is beautimus Doc!

All these comments on getting older. Sounds like me some days. It takes longer to get crap done, and sometimes it looks like crap. In my mind I'm still young and don't know what I want to be when I grow up. Other time I think I've grown up and only amounted to being a dirty old man.

All these comments on getting older. Sounds like me some days. It takes longer to get crap done, and sometimes it looks like crap. In my mind I'm still young and don't know what I want to be when I grow up. Other time I think I've grown up and only amounted to being a dirty old man.

Well put Kenny! Pretty much describes me too. I used to go from daylight to dark nonstop, now a couple of hours and I’m through for the day.

Back with a small update...

The POR10 (Previous Owner, Retarded to the Tenth Power) provided this nasty hole in the frame...

attachment.php

Today, we had the frame upside down and worked to repair the hatchet hole... I marked a few lines to square it off and I missed... I marked another and we cut on that line..

attachment.php

We also straightened the inside (jagged) edge, cut a patch to fit and tacked it in...

attachment.php

At this point, another friend wandered into the shop... so, the pictures ended and the BS took over... anyhow, we finished the frame repair and made some progress all around. :D

If anybody cares to know, the hatchet hole was cut to mount an underfloor master cylinder. "They" cut a portion of the sidewall and most of the bottom frame out, so they could reach inside, attach and tighten the nuts. There was no intent to reinforce the hatchet hole! (Suffering Jesus.)

At any rate, we're on hiatus for a few weeks. B-tard is away on business and we'll pick up when he returns...

Attachments

• chassis5.jpg
    chassis5.jpg
    118.4 KB · Views: 55
  • chassis6.JPG
    chassis6.JPG
    153.8 KB · Views: 55
  • chassis7.JPG
    chassis7.JPG
    166.7 KB · Views: 55
A lot of those brain dead people get in to politics! I'm working on one like this, holes, jagged metal, I think the the only tools the guy had was a dull hatchet, torch and a stick welder he didn't know how to use. Your doing a great job by the way.

Latest posts

Back