Tetanus Tornado 49 F6

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello Kenny, I will get the measurements for you tomorrow.

Attachments

• IMG_1056.jpg
    IMG_1056.jpg
    127.2 KB · Views: 40
Hello Kenny.
I've got some measurements of a '36 ford truck grille for you.
The grille shell top width is 23", although it doesn't look like it in pic 1.
The full grille shell height is 36"
The grille insert is 28" high. picture 3
The grille shell height below the insert is 3 1/2 " pic 2
9" up from the bottom the grille shell is 20" wide. pic 4
Front to back the grille shell is 7", just the black tin part. [ a '35 grill is shallower, maybe 4"]

When I say insert, I'm talking about the centre part that is separate in some grilles but not in the '36 Ford. There is a little chrome strip surrounding the insert that snaps in.
Hope this helps.
Keep on tinkering.

Attachments

• IMG_1151.jpg
    IMG_1151.jpg
    118.1 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_1149.jpg
    IMG_1149.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_1148.jpg
    IMG_1148.jpg
    114.6 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_1150.jpg
    IMG_1150.jpg
    147.7 KB · Views: 20
more dented junk

I found a grill today at the Big E swap meet. It is in really bad shape but it's about the right size and I won't feel bad about cutting it up to make it fit after I knock some of the dents out of it. I think it may be an early 30's chevy. if it is that will make 2 parts that aren't ford, the front brakes and the grill shell. See what you think. I think I would like to run the hood still by cutting the nose off and tapering it narrower to meet the radiator shell.

pics didn't post i'll try again

Attachments

• f-6 rat rod 154.jpg
    f-6 rat rod 154.jpg
    122.3 KB · Views: 85
  • f-6 rat rod 155.jpg
    f-6 rat rod 155.jpg
    211.6 KB · Views: 68
  • f-6 rat rod 156.jpg
    f-6 rat rod 156.jpg
    123 KB · Views: 65
  • f-6 rat rod 157.jpg
    f-6 rat rod 157.jpg
    204.7 KB · Views: 63
  • f-6 rat rod 158.jpg
    f-6 rat rod 158.jpg
    207 KB · Views: 54
Nice find on the grill.
It will look great.:)
Anything Mid 30's that has Ford stamped on it is always going to be $$$
Truck is looking really nice.
Torchie.

Kenny, One member of you audience is quite opinionated, me. I like the idea of your hood coming out to the back of the grille shell. Maybe even cut out windows in the side from the air vents down.
IMHO, You have to make the rest of the surround at the bottom of the grille. No surround, makes the builder look too rough and ----well --- not accustomed to work.
These are only my opinions, you are still the head dude on this build.
Keep on tinkering.

Mac I agree with you. I will try to make the rest of the surround when thr time comes, that is if I don't find a better grill in the meantime .It is only stuck between the frame rails for mock up purposes .And when I say it is in bad shape that is giving it a lot of credit. When I get done with this thing I don't want any jagged edges or loose ends. It's supposed to be a low buck but finished hot rod that is fun safe and drivable ride that I'm not afraid to take places and have people get their finger prints on or kids wiping their boogers on.

Apparently you and I have very different definitions of "very bad shape". That shell looks WAY better than a lot of stuff we see up here. It just needs the bottom formed and it will look great!

It needs a hood, I think those cabs don't look quite right if there isn't some kind of hood.

Hey Kenny, nice score on the grille. How was that Big E swap meet? I wanted to go but couldn't make it. Its only like 20 mins from my house.

-Chris

440 the pics don' show how bad it really is really twisted, dented, bent and it looks like it slid down the road but I think it is workable with some time put into it. I'm still looking for an inexpensive 35 or 36 ford truck grill. I think I could make it look better but they are so costly I'm not expecting to find one right away. I plan on running a hood . I have 4 that are in from horrible to half decent shape. I may be able to fudge them together.

Latest posts

Back