1934 Plymouth five window

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It was a little bit depressing today when I looked into the future and started nudging it, so I could get lucky next week when the future becomes the present. I started measuring the fender wells, hubs and wheel bolt patterns, so I could order bigger wheels and tires because those don't fit on there with functional brakes. It turns out that if you leave bunches of the brakes off then the wheels sorta' fit. So I found out I also have to order new brakes all of the way around too.
Anyhow, I do have some positive forward movement to report. One tricky little heater hose outlet is coming out of the back of the water pump now, the starter is on, and I made a bracket for the hand brake.

Attachments

• IMG_1225.jpg
    IMG_1225.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 59
Thanks e-man on the e-brake. I'm a hand brake fanatic, they are just so cool.

Mostly today I fiddled around town, trying to figure out what brakes to buy but the parts people didn't really help me. I've asked a question in the 'identify this' thread. What brakes usually go on a Mustang 2 front end and what brakes go on an eight inch Ford rear end?[S[S

OK Mac, here's some info on Ford 8" brakes:

Five lug axles only, there are THREE different brake shoes, 1.75", 2", and 2.5"

Here are some part numbers

Wagner-PAB-151R- 1.75"
Wagner PAB-152- 2."
Wagner Z169R- 2.5"

These part numbers came from RockAuto for a 1967 Fairlane 8".

Now which one do you need? You will need to measure your drum if it doesn't have shoes, or just take a old shoe to compare if you have one. I would figure you have 2" shoes, they seem to be common on V8 cars. The 1.75 usually came on six cylinder cars, and the 2.5"was used on Police, Taxi, and Station wagons.

Four lug axles are different, but may have used the same brake shoes, I do not know for sure.

Hope this helps

Thank you, Bama. I had no drums at all and some worn out shoes. The shoes weren't quite 2" so I guessed 1.75", but I got Thunderbird brakes now, shoes and drums. You're thinking I should have stuck with the 2", right? Oh, I had better try these ones on before to long, so I can take them back if they're too narrow. They are five stud axles and ten inch diameter shoes.
Anyhow, I got the shoes and drums today and ordered some pads again for the front. Yesterdays were very wrong,[Ford] so I ordered some '85 Monte Carlo ones, now.
That's my progress report. No, wait, that's my report, scratch the progress part.

You will probably be fine with the 1.75", I'm sure your coupe weighs a lot less than a 60's Fairlane. Ford did strange things sometimes, and didn't go by their own rules. I have seen 1.75 brakes on V8 cars, 2.5" brakes on 6 cyl cars, 8" rear ends in behind V8's, and 9" rear ends in behind 6 cyls! [S
I used the 2" brakes on mine, I hope that's enough to stop my two ton momma.:D

I worked as a mechanic at our local Ford dealer in 73. To support what Bam said, we were coming across 71, 72 and 73 cars, that had 1969 codes on the engines in them :eek:

Boy, you know you guys are mean mouthing Ford right when my flaming optimism is a wee bit low. That might have consequences.
Bama, I'm not at all worried about stopping with these brakes, I just want them to fit on there right and pass the mechanical inspections they will have to go through. I've been driving a truck so long that I don't do Jackrabbit starts and Jackrabbit stops, but I have to watch for other people who still do 'surprise driving'.
Thank you guys for teaching me these weird things that I need to know about building. I guess that's the good thing about this car and the last builder, I get to learn what not to do.

Today, a friend came over, needing some help. After we got done his projects, he wanted to help me with mine. We moved the '34 into the shop near the welder and set the motor/transmission combo in it's place. It fits rather nicely, I think. Baby Hemis don't have the same motor mounts as other motors so the mounting tabs that are there are of no use to me. This is only a mock-up so the first of many, many times it will be in and out of there.
My back brakes are now checked out. The shoes are the right ones, but the drums are four holers instead of five. The emergency brake cables are still coming and I forgot to order wheel cylinders. I'm a little embarrassed that I assumed the brakes would be done, but didn't check before now.:eek:

Attachments

• IMG_1230.jpg
    IMG_1230.jpg
    117.7 KB · Views: 70
Drivers side rear is where I started doing the brakes. That wheel is done and a spoked 1934 Dodge Brothers wheel is mounted, although I have ordered new ones. That is the colour of the wheels that are now coming in from California, only they are artillery wheels. The new store bought artilleries will go on this car because they are new and they are 15 inch, whereas the spoke ones are 17" and real 1934s so they are more suitable for a ratrod, ei. the 1934 Dodge Brothers truck that was supposed to be done next. I've already robbed the baby Hemi, the transmission and radiator from the truck project, so I better not rob the wheels too.

Attachments

• IMG_1232.jpg
    IMG_1232.jpg
    148.3 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_1233.jpg
    IMG_1233.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 47
Drivers side rear is where I started doing the brakes. That wheel is done and a spoked 1934 Dodge Brothers wheel is mounted, although I have ordered new ones. That is the colour of the wheels that are now coming in from California, only they are artillery wheels. The new store bought artilleries will go on this car because they are new and they are 15 inch, whereas the spoke ones are 17" and real 1934s so they are more suitable for a ratrod, ei. the 1934 Dodge Brothers truck that was supposed to be done next. I've already robbed the baby Hemi, the transmission and radiator from the truck project, so I better not rob the wheels too.

I love my artillery wheels, I bet they'll look great on that car! What vendor did you go with? There are 3 and since they're all a little different style, it took me a while to decide. What widths did you buy?

Snopro, I went through WheelSmith and got five artillery wheels, five trimrings and five 'forty Ford' hubcaps. The wheels are 15" and five inches wide, powder coated Chrysler copper. I couldn't find a good picture of yours to compare, but I think mine have bigger holes in the wheel edge than yours. I am also a fan of artillery wheels.
1952, this is my barnfind pre-ratrod '34 Dodge Brothers.

Attachments

• in shed from rear.jpg
    in shed from rear.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 56
  • 34 Dodge pulled out.jpg
    34 Dodge pulled out.jpg
    168.4 KB · Views: 70
Snopro, I went through WheelSmith and got five artillery wheels, five trimrings and five 'forty Ford' hubcaps. The wheels are 15" and five inches wide, powder coated Chrysler copper. I couldn't find a good picture of yours to compare, but I think mine have bigger holes in the wheel edge than yours. I am also a fan of artillery wheels.
1952, this is my barnfind pre-ratrod '34 Dodge Brothers.

Yeah, the Wheelsmith are different than mine. Mine have rounded holes, and the Wheelsmith artilleries are more square. Either works fine depending on your style. I personally liked the round hole artilleries so that's what I went with. I think the WS ones will look good on your car. You could fit wider than 5" under those fat old fenders ;)

Wheelsmith:
WOR-1007-Car1-05.jpg

Mine (Wheel Vintiques):
IMG_20130703_175906_249_zps1d5cf481.jpg

That '34 pickup isn't worth working on. I'll dispose of it for you :D[cl

That's a really cool truck, I love those pickups!

I must not have found your company in my search. Wheel Smith was as close to perfect as I could get. Yours are as good or better. I kept them narrow on purpose, because I think they look more old fashioned.
I have tried that "I'll help you dispose of it" line many times, right here on this forum, and there were no takers, [odd bunch these guys].[ddd So I didn't fall for your devious trick, Snopro.
1952, imagine if you will, a baby Hemi nestled in there and wire wheels. Does that change your perspective?

Latest posts

Back