Party Rat Study

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just wanted to update that I have a new welder on the way. I ended up going with the Hobart 210mvp. I really wanted to step up to the Ironman 230 but the 210 was on a great sale so I pulled the trigger...hopefully it'll be enough for my needs. I'm going to be pretty busy at work till end of July but I hope to keep some progress going. Also I have a lead on the pax door I need and on a 425 nailhead and th400 tranny...we'll see. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

Mike and I had lots of discussion on his build, and it turned out killer. Mike had a vision on his truck from the start, and the first time I saw it, it was just a pile of parts. It is a very cool look, and if you can get that stance, you will really have something. I am looking forward to seeing what you come up with. Great start.

Thanks for taking the time to show us your progress Jeremy....good luck balancing family, job and a build! I know how hard it can be. Looks like you are very skilled and I appreciated your pictures.

Well look what followed me home today! It is a 425 Nailhead from a '64 Riviera. I got it and the ST400 transmission from a guy that was putting a LS motor in his Riviera. It and the trans supposedly are in running/working condition so I hope that is the case as I wasn't able to see/hear it run. It does turn over and visually looks fine. I also will be picking up a 401 nailhead that I bought that is stuck. I didn't intend to buy two motors but it just kinda came together that way and the 401 was a 'can't pass up price'. I hope the motors mount the same...if so I'll use the 401 for all the mock-up and keep the 425 outta harms way. My lead for the passenger door fell through. I'm hoping I can find one and the big Portland swap meet this spring.

Bonehead...yep the same stance is what I'm going for. That is what really drew me to the car. My hope is that it will be uniquely mine yet pay tribute to his original idea.

Thanks guys for the encouragement. I hope to have some more progress pics in a few weeks.

Attachments

• Buick 425.jpg
    Buick 425.jpg
    114.6 KB · Views: 85
  • Buick 425-2.jpg
    Buick 425-2.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:
I've also been practicing with my new welder and I love it! I'm building my kids a new basketball hoop/pole with it and once that is done I'll get back on the rat build.

Nice score on the Nailheads. That 425 looks real clean. Hope that it runs as well as it looks cause it will put you miles ahead $$$$$$.
Should mount up the same as the 401.
Torchie.

A little progress...I have the forward 4-link brackets made. These are also the upper airbag mounts.

Attachments

• 4linkbag brackets.jpg
    4linkbag brackets.jpg
    140.2 KB · Views: 35
I also have the rear subframe crossmember/airtank done. These pics don't show it quite completed but gives you the idea of how it fits together.

Attachments

• subframe.jpg
    subframe.jpg
    170.6 KB · Views: 50
  • Frametank.jpg
    Frametank.jpg
    135.6 KB · Views: 58
I ordered custom made 4 links and they should be here next week along with the airbags so I'm excited to start fitting those in. All the pieces except for the watts link are about ready to go together for the rear subframe and axle so it'll all start coming together soon and look like something.

Also, I've decided the model A frame just doesn't seem strong/safe enough to use...even with boxing plates and there are some repairs it would need so I decided my time would be better spent on a new stronger frame so I ordered a front only frame kit from West Texas Speed that should be the same profile/dimensions as an original model A but with 3/16" fully boxed plate. It is a plasma cut "kit" that you fold and then weld.

Here are a couple pics of the completed subframe. I tested the air tank and it held to 100 psi. I think that is sufficient for the air suspension system???

Attachments

• subframe1.jpg
    subframe1.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 42
  • subframe2.jpg
    subframe2.jpg
    113.6 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:
Also the 4 links came in the mail. I ordered them from thor bros. They did a very nice job. Here they are bolted together with they brackets I made a few weeks ago sitting in the subframe.

Attachments

• 4links.jpg
    4links.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 62
  • 4links2.jpg
    4links2.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 58
  • 4link3.jpg
    4link3.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 68
Here is a pic showing a mockup of how the rear suspension should fit with the airbags.

Attachments

• rearmockup.jpg
    rearmockup.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 67
At the recent Portland swap meet I bought a complete front end from a '37-'41 ford. Here is my buddy carrying it on his kids' bike trailer. Bikes are the way to go at the PIR swap...I think we made the loop at least 6-7 times looking for parts.

Attachments

• frontend.jpg
    frontend.jpg
    193.3 KB · Views: 97
I disassembled the front end and split the wishbone with bungs and a high strength heim joint ordered online. I trust my welding 95% but to be safe and account for the extra 5% I drilled 1/4" holes on opposite sides of the bones and plug welded also. Here is one side complete and the other with the bung just tacked into place. The second pic shows the front spring hanger cut off and ground down to a nice radius.

Attachments

• splitbones.jpg
    splitbones.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 65
  • splitbones2.jpg
    splitbones2.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 65
I also have the front frame rails from west texas speed folded and tacked together. It took about 15 minutes to fold and tack them both...and I was being fussy making sure they were square. I clamped a piece of 1.5" square tube inside to make sure the sides stayed square as I was tacking them.

Attachments

• framefolding.jpg
    framefolding.jpg
    105.7 KB · Views: 70
  • framefolding2.jpg
    framefolding2.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 68
  • framefolding3.jpg
    framefolding3.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 68
  • framefold.jpg
    framefold.jpg
    131.5 KB · Views: 69
  • tackedframes.jpg
    tackedframes.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 70
At the swap meet I found a set of frame horns that are pretty heavy. They must be from a Model A truck of some sort as they are quite a bit thicker than the horns on my Model A frame. As it turns out they matched perfectly the 3/16" thickness and dimensions of the frame kit I put together so I will be cutting off the front of the kit and adding these original horns onto the frame. I was pretty excited about this...couldn't believe how well it matched and I really like having original frame horns as it adds a touch of authenticity to the repop frame.

Attachments

• horn.jpg
    horn.jpg
    168.7 KB · Views: 50

Latest posts

Back