Radiator hose reducers?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Davidhud29

The od on my expansion tank is 1 5/8. Bottom water pump opening is 2 or 2 1/8. The openings on my new radiator are 1 1/4. Does some one make a reducer for these sizes. Am I going to have fab. something? How much can you clamp down or stretch a hose? For example will a 2" hose fit a 1 5/8 opening? (clamped down) Or will a 1 1/4 hose fit on a 1 1/2 opening? (stretch)

I think the exhaust tube reducer would be a short term solution - it would rot out quickly.

My experience is that hoses don't stretch even 1/4" nor do they clamp down 1/4" without leaking. Using another hose as a bushing works in the latter case.

I had a similar problem on the F-2 stang. The radiator upper was 1 3/4, the hose Id 1 1/4. The OD of the hose was 1 3/4. I found a piece of 1 1/4 od x . o6 wall aluminum tube and inserted it into the hose. RTV was used to glue a short piece of 1 3/4 ID hose to the Od of the 1 1/4 hose with the alum tube inside. A clamp seals the deal.

Probably doesn't make any sense, but it does work.

Some NAPA stores carry straight radiator hose in most sizes and will cut what you need. Pricey though.

The lower hose was from a search at the zone. Found one and kept cuttining until it fit.

Attachments

• 555-51155.jpg
    555-51155.jpg
    11.5 KB · Views: 4
  • 555-53098.jpg
    555-53098.jpg
    13.7 KB · Views: 3
hoses

A lot of cars have different size hoses, the pump and radiator are diff. sizes, the rad. and t-stat are diff. also, find you a good parts store, napa or federated, and tell the counter man what your trying to do, alot of times they will let you go in the back with them and just start measureing hoses, with enough time you will find what you need, napa used to have a hose book with illistrations and sizes, but you will need to find an old parts man to even look in the book, the kids at advance, autozone, o-rilleys, places like that, if it ain't in the computer it don't exist !!!!!

but you will need to find an old parts man to even look in the book, the kids at advance, autozone, o-rilleys, places like that, if it ain't in the computer it don't exist !!!!!

THAT IS VERY TRUE!! If you don't know the year, make and model. 2wd or 4wd, what motor it had, what color it was, who worked on the assembly line when it was made, and what day of the week it was made on they can't help you.:rolleyes::rolleyes:
OK maybe not that bad, but I know exactly what you mean.

the kids at advance, autozone, o-rilleys, places like that, if it ain't in the computer it don't exist !!!!!

LOL, I went in AZ for some steel fuel line and the kid said they didnt have any. I said "There's a whole rack at the end of the shelf" He said that was brake lines, so I said give a 2' x 3/8 brake line...... buy em books send em to school.LOL

Latest posts

Back