flathead running warm 190-210

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

$arge

ok so its been a few since this last issue. im running a bubbas hotrod dizzy now and the the timingis spot on. i had previously flushed the block with water engine off, radiator flushed.
i decided to run down to the bus stop to pick up the kids in old pedro, and damnit if the temp on the gauge didnt run up to 190-210...! i mean its putting around at 15mph here in military housing, but 210! really!
i was curious if running it down the road with some airflow over the radiator would help. it did it ran down to 175-185 but at slower speeds it was 195-205ish. that seem sa bit warm no?
whats the correct op temp for the flatties? im reconsidering taking the thermostats out and gutting them to get the "washer" type of effect.
doesnt 200-205 sound a bit warm to you guys?
could it be that theres more junk in the block plugging up the pathway for the coolant to get to the block? but then would it be on both sides? the radiator had flushed clean along with the block.???
Thanks for the help..
Raf-
p.s. i posted this over on the pork just to cover my bases.....:D
any suggestions would be appreciated.

Flathead Fords running warm has been an issue that has gone on for a long time. Lots of it is due to just debris clocking up the system from age. Considering that you cleaned it you probably got a lot of it out. You can get additives for you cooling system that changes the cooling capacity of the fluid; ie it may drop you temperature down 10-15 degrees. They are sold at box stores and parts stores, but the name escapes me. I would try that before I started taking things apart. Also check to make sure you got all the air out of the system.

You said increasing the speed/airflow brought the temperature down so it sounds like all you need is more fan. Try an aftermarket fan that will pull more air or put an electric fan on it for driving in traffic or at slow speeds.

You said increasing the speed/airflow brought the temperature down so it sounds like all you need is more fan. Try an aftermarket fan that will pull more air or put an electric fan on it for driving in traffic or at slow speeds.

Yea, do what Fuzz said or step it up on the pulley, speeding up your waterpump and your fan equally. Me, I'd go with a flexfan or do a big electric on the radiator.
If it continues...flush her, then backflush. Might have some junk in some of the ports. If that don't do it....pull the heads and open up the water holes on the block to the gasket holes. Sometimes....the gasket holes are punched a little too small, sometimes they're crap in the water pass. holes there in the block. Just make the coolant circulate faster thru the radiator.....:cool:

Latest posts

Back