junk yard cooling fan?? best donor car

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

54baker

I read once about an electric cooling fan from a ford taurus being a great donor...not sure why?? What would you guys recommend for a cooling fan on my open front 54 studebaker truck? I can mount a clutch fan as well. Should i do both electric for slow cruises and the engine mounted fan? I am not planning on a fan shroud. It is a mild 400sbc. I'm running a 3 row model A low boy style radiator that is about 17.5" wide.

Attachments

• baker1.jpg
    baker1.jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 16
You're planning on using a Model A grill aren't you? If so I'd just use one or the other. If you were using a grill shell with grill, like say a '35 Chevy truck or something similar, I'd say put an electric pusher fan in front of the radiator and run a mechanical fan on the engine. '94-97 Thunderbirds have some good electric fans as well, just for another doner.

I ran a beast of a fan on my Mustang that did some serious cooling. 18"W x 16"H. Came off a '90 Thunderbird Super Coupe. $12.50 on Pick-N-Pull's half price day!

Thanks guys. I am running a model a grill shell but am building my own custom grill. I'm not sure how much room i'll have for a pusher. I will check out the dimensions on the thunderbird fan's. Thanks for the tips.

I ran a beast of a fan on my Mustang that did some serious cooling. 18"W x 16"H. Came off a '90 Thunderbird Super Coupe. $12.50 on Pick-N-Pull's half price day!

I will check this fan out. my radiator core is only 17 1/4" wide but i may have some room inside the grill shell for it. Thanks for the input.

What's the best way to hook them up. I'm running a 400 sbc that needs all the cooling it can handle....especially with a 3 core radiator.

I'm using a two speed fan from a '94 Volvo 760 5 cylinder. Got it rigged to run on low speed until engine hits 190 then the high speed relay kicks in. So far, the 429 running thru a '87 Dodge truck radiator, hasn't kicked in the high speed. Stays right at 180. I had to cross-breed the fan with a shroud from a Toyota. The fan itself measures right at 17". Good luck.

Attachments

• Fan.jpg
    Fan.jpg
    112.2 KB · Views: 9

Latest posts

Back