305 build

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chuck U&R

As none of you know I have a 305 from a '76 Chevy 1/2 PU.
I'm wanting to build this for mild performance but mostly for economy.
I found this 'build sheet' on the net but I can't find any specifics on the cam.

Baseline: Stock 1977 305 2v................17.30s and 12mpg

Performer intake w/ Holley 600 carb........16.50s and 17mpg

Recurved stock HEI and added Supercoil.....16.30s and 17mpg

Headers w/ turbo mufflers dumped at axle...15.70s and 20mpg

Mufflers removed, 3ft tubes on headers.....15.50s and 21mpg

TRW #274 cam, new chain, flex fan..........15.00s and 23mpg

Full duals from headers Dynomax mufflers...15.10a and 23mpg

K$N stub stack, softer secondary spring....14.90s and 22mpg

Magnum roller tip rockers, 1.52 ratio......14.80s and 24mpg

Magnum 1.6 rockers on exhaust side.........14.80s and 25mpg

The 14.80 1/4 mile time doesn't scare me but I really like the 25mpg !

Can anyone tell me more about the cam specs ?

Is this just a stock 350 cam ?

This is gonna be a daily driver / hauler and I'm more interested in MPG and torque than top end.

If anyone can add to this I welcome your input.

It's probably the same as this Sealed Power 274 cam, part number SLP-CAS-274 from Summit. TRW and Sealed Power are now the same. The cam is basically a stock replacement/rv type cam. It's mild but should work well for your goals.

Brand: Sealed Power
Product Line: Sealed Power Replacement Hydraulic Cam and Lifter Kits
Part Type: Camshafts
Part Number: SLP-CS-274
Cam Style: Hydraulic flat tappet
Basic Operating RPM Range: 1,500-4,800
Intake Duration at 050 inch Lift: 194
Exhaust Duration at 050 inch Lift: 203
Duration at 050 inch Lift: 194 int./203 exh.
Valve Lift with Factory Rocker Arm Ratio: lift
Lobe Separation (degrees): 112
Intake Valve Lash: 0.000 in.
Exhaust Valve Lash: 0.000 in.

Here's the link to the Summit page...

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=SLP-CS-274&autoview=sku

cam

I found out that my diminutive little 267ci was blessed with a larger lift, longer duration cam from the factory, bigger than the 350 of the same era 82 probly cause the 1.72 -1.50 52cc heads are not up to any challenge. if this build sheet is from a heavy car or truck, those are good times and mpg. but gears and trans have alot to do with things like that. I tend to ( if i dont want to do the math ) look at edelbrocks intake and cam combos page in Summit to find what will work with said intake and engine displacement, the rpm math is already done for you, they spend alot of time figuring out what will work with what you got. bigger lift "can" mean more flow, and greater duration "can" mean more fuel but at a cost of cylinder pressure and velocity, depending on how the intake runners on the heads are configured. Dont put to much cam in it as it will have an adverse effect on idle, and steetability. to little a cam, can and will restrict top end performance. for more tourqe stay with a grind of less duration and decent lift as long as you dont exceed the lift value of your valvesprings. try running a 1.6 rocker on the intake side, and a 1.5 on the exhaust, to try and scrape some more from a stock style grind. always remember the cam is the "brains of and engine more so than any other single item.

Latest posts

Back