Can someone tell me how this is done?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blue

reverse.jpg

Simple! just grind a camshaft with the lobes mixed up, intakes for exhaust and vice versa. Or, you could devise a gear drive that turned the original cam the other way. Or, you could run the engine backwards!

Bassackwards!

Bonehead,
Tell the truth. That car is from the mirror world where good is bad...etc! That planet is called Bassackwards! I think Superman had a run-in there once after accidentally drinking a Kryptonite milkshake! ; - >

And then again... I could be wrong!!!

BoB <----- that's BoB spelled backwards!

I have seen quite a few of the backward running engine pictures, some appear to be from quite a while back.

Attachments

• engine backwards.jpg
    engine backwards.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 45
i know it's all in the cam and from what i've been told that all started with flathead fords.I guess the flatheads breath better and made more power that way.

i know it's all in the cam and from what i've been told that all started with flathead fords.I guess the flatheads breath better and made more power that way.

There were a few flathead Fords done this way, but I'm convinced that if that they made more power, all of the top flathead racers past and present would have run this configuration. I've not found this to be the case. I think that it was an experiment then and a novelty now. That's just my opinion though.

As far as the reverse flow sbc is concerned, I would think that the intake valves being small and the exhaust valves being large, would create a real efficiency issue. I would have to see what he did to the inside of the combustion chambers, but the reverse flow design would NOT make more power without somehow reconfiguring the valve arrangement, at least not an a sbc.

dang,i have a hard enuogh time with keeping a normal one running !
Can't begine to fathom the amount of money to have a came ground like that .

The cam isn't that big a deal. You just grind off half the lobes and weld on 8 new lobes and clock it in the grinder differently.

I think my Cam guy could make one for any engine for less than 500 dollars if you supply the core.

Front dist drive is pretty simple - you drill and tap the cam and put a Allen bolt in there and then do the same thing to the bottom of the dist shaft and connect them with a sawed off Allen wrench

Is it worth the effort? Well I'm 60 years old and I have never seen an engine draw a bigger crowd at a car show.

Works for me.

Latest posts

Back