shortening temp control cable

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

animal

I need to shorten a cable like this, and put the little coil of wire on the end to slip over the post on the heater duct butterfly. Any of you fine folks have a suggestion about a good way to do this? I thought I'd try to champ the wire in something, then wrap it around a rod or bolt to get the coil, but figured someone might have a less-crude, better way to accomplish this.

Attachments

• 20180408_125111[1].jpg
    20180408_125111[1].jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 32
I need to shorten a cable like this, and put the little coil of wire on the end to slip over the post on the heater duct butterfly. Any of you fine folks have a suggestion about a good way to do this? I thought I'd try to champ the wire in something, then wrap it around a rod or bolt to get the coil, but figured someone might have a less-crude, better way to accomplish this.

You might hold the end between the tips of needle nose pliers and wrap the cable around the pliers.

Cool tool
I just done one on my 37 GMC
Cut the length you want it to be and take a pair of vise grips, clamp the cable end to a 3/16" round rod and pulled it around the rod. Worked perfectly.
I only do one of these every decade or two so it doesn't justify the tool.
You could make a tool out of two screws and a piece of wood or steel.

I've decided to just try this "old school"... Old Iron, your method sounds like the ticket. I'll try it today and see what happens. :)

TaDa!

I ended up putting a piece of 3/16" rod vertically in the vise, then laying the cable housing in the opening between the jaws while I gripped the end of the wire with vice grips and wound the wire around the rod. Worked really well, and was lots easier than I'd been led to believe by some folks I know. :) Thanks to everyone for the advice and suggestions!

Latest posts

Back