engine location

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

03GMC

I am at the point that the engine and trans is going to be mocked up. How do you know how far back or forward to set it? I am putting a chevy 350 in a 29 tudor with a 2x4 frame. I will only need a single pulley off the crank for a lone alt, no ps or a/c. I am running elec fan and was thinking that moving the fan to the front of rad would give more room also. Any help is welcomed and appreciated as well as suggestions. Pics would be great of any setups similar. Thanks

I go by the space from the front of the firewall to the back of the block. You don't want to see much of the bell housing there, if any.

What bonehead said!! With any engine swap you are always best served by placing the engine as far "BACK" and as "LOW" as is not just possible but pratical.

Hombre

I'm with hombre and bonehead on this one. For me, available space dictates the front to rear mounting location. I place the engine as far back as possible. I try to leave myself enough space to access to the bell housing/trans bolts without being a contortionist though. As far as electric fans go, I believe that pullers are more efficient so you might factor that into the equation if you have enough room between the radiator and the engine.

Ditto, ditto, and ditto. :) Try to allow yourself an inch or two more than you think you will need, otherwise some surprises can pop up in final assembly. Happened to me on my T, had to go to a short water pump instead of the long one I mocked up for, :eek:

Don

Latest posts

Back