Paint through spark plug holes????

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pistolpete

So long story short I found a decent deal on a '53 Flathead, but the previous owner painted the engine and appears to have not had the spark plugs in when it was painted (not sure why), I noticed a but of blue paint inside when I took a few spark plugs out. The now owner has had the heads off and said there wasn't much paint just some overspray inside, which appears to be the case. The engine has recently had a rebuild and only some light stand runs and was never ran down the road. He said he has been oiling and turning it frequently, he builds drag engines so I can somewhat believe him and everything else on the motor seems to check out as either just being replaced or rebuilt very recently.

Wasn't sure if this would be an issue, I assume it would burn off real quick with combustion chamber temperatures, but wasn't sure if the burnt residue and or ash would cause any other possible issues.

Last edited:
If I follow correctly...

- The first guy rebuilt and painted it.

- The second guy had the heads off but can't operate a rag or a pint of thinner.

- You own it now and don't know what to believe.

I smell a lie and wouldn't be happy with paint in the cylinder... but since the deed is done, I tend to agree, it should burn off with no ill effects.

Many members know much more than I and I'd like to hear their opinions on the subject...

I don't own it yet it's a pretty decent deal for what does appear to be a fairly fresh rebuild, i looked at it and it sounded and looked kind of odd. He said there wasnt much, it was just enough that I noticed it on the threads within the spark plug hole, and just enough to see a slight shade of blue on the valves, and only on two or them.

I have doubts that it would ever cause any problems. I've seen bits of gasket and carbon get into intake runners, and it has always just been sucked in and blown out with no ill effects. A bit of paint residue won't make a difference. But if the heads are off now why not clean it up? It will be 6 of 1 and a half dozen of the other.

Now if you were talking 1/4 inch nuts, tappet cover bolts and/or carb screws...those don't compress worth a toot, and I've seen what they can do too.:rolleyes:

Unless it was painted with a brush and roller,A little overspray shouldnt cause you any problems.

I've forgotten to take bits of papertowl out of intake ports when I put intakes on and they just burn up and shoot out the tailpipe. I've seen lots of questionable paint jobs on engines even with paint on the pistons, I wouldn't worry about it.

Latest posts

Back