Chevy 4.3L simplification

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AZRodDave

As many may already know, I am converting a 1994 Chevy 4.3L TBI pickup into some sort of retro-mod/rat truck thing, and have stalled out on the dismantling because of all the wires and crap going through the firewall and all over the damn place. It's frustrating! :mad:

So my question is if I would be able to run the engine without all the emissions junk and the ECM if I just go ahead and start hacking harnesses to get the body off, or am I stuck with that setup? I know earlier iterations of this engine didn't have all this complication. I miss the "good old days" of three wires and a carb.

Thanks in advance... I did a Search, but will look more as well.

"And if you go early 80's the 4.3 was all over in Camaros blazers etc with carbs." Sounds like I could convert it. That would be good!

Also read a few threads about adding intake, carbs, headers. It will depend on budget, which is very thin at this point. Like one guy said, "the leather in my wallet is worth more than what's in it!" And I have a canvas wallet... LOL

Last edited:
You can cut all the wires because, Larry's Electric sells a stand alone wire harness for these applications.
All you need to have is the computer, engine and transmission if you're going to run a 4l60e automatic.
You can change these over to a carb system if you want.

Ah, okay. Good to know. Thanks! Would like to have the dash cluster work, so that part and the fuse box is apart already. Heater controls, radio, and that other stuff doesn't matter. Going to hide all this somewhere, probably under the dash. Thanks for the good info. :)

Last edited:
Ah, okay. Good to know. Thanks! Would like to have the dash cluster work, so that part and the fuse box is apart already. Heater controls, radio, and that other stuff doesn't matter. Going to hide all this somewhere, probably under the dash. Thanks for the good info. :)
For clarification, the standalone harness is just for the computer, engine and tranny not the interior things like dash, A/C, heater, lights, cruise etc.

Some 3/4 and 1 ton trucks had a 4.3 with a factory 4 bbl carb. Only wires were sending units, alternator, and a hot wire for the HEI.

Some 3/4 and 1 ton trucks had a 4.3 with a factory 4 bbl carb. Only wires were sending units, alternator, and a hot wire for the HEI.

Good to know, thanks. This was a half ton TBI and I think I saved all the important wiring and such, so will be able to use that and hide it away somewhere, or go carb and simplicity if need be and wallet allows.

Thanks again guys! I love this website. [cl

Latest posts

Back