Late Model Steering Colunm Magic

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skip

like a lot of folks, I am using a later model GM column in my 39 Ford PU. It is an easy match to the S10 steering. It works fine. AND, it is butt ugly. An after market wheel helps, but the rest of it is, as I said, less than attractive. I like all the conveniences, but all that bulk and plastic just looks so out of place in an old car.

Has anyone come up with any magic for making one of these steering columns look better?

NOTE: The Powder River option is not in the budget. Nice as it is.

I am thinking about stripping off all the plastic and leaving it bare. That would cut down on bulk, but I'm not sure that what will then be exposed will look any better.

Your thoughts.

Attachments

• PA071079.jpg
    PA071079.jpg
    118.7 KB · Views: 57
I've got the same column, so I'm interested, too. I think the big box on the side at the T/S lever is the worst part, I'm thinking of shaving it down on mine if I can.

Don't waste your time. (The wiper and dimmer switches are inside the big lump.)

http://www.steeringcolumnservices.c...p?y=1991&ma=Chevrolet&mo=Camaro&d=Tilt&c=6022

We just went through this on my buddy's coupe. He has a tilt/telescopic column from a Toronado, but it's fugly as can be and impossible to make it look like anything else.

We found another column without the wiper and dimmer. I suggest you do the same, or live with the lump!

Pretty simple build to make one...except for the wheel itself, most of mine is from Tractor Supply parts.

Could you not take out the wiper switch? The dimmer switch is actually down low on the column, near the ignition switch. Without the wiper switch you wouldn't need the box on the side. Probably have to figure a way to attach the lever to the turn signal cam.

Thank you, gentlemen. I agree with everyone. That is my dilemma.

Is this a rat? Just rip the plastic off. I like that look myself. :D

E-man, this is running around in my head with all the other thoughts mentioned. A skeletal column might go well with the gauge cluster. Kind of like play the ugly factor up if you can't hide it.

If that doesn't work, I'll have to hunt down a less offensive looking column that I can hack up for the inside-the-cab part. The under hood part is sorted out, don't want to mess with that. The under the dash part doesn't show too much.

Now does anyone have some spare "motivation" I can borrow? :rolleyes:

Now does anyone have some spare "motivation" I can borrow? :rolleyes:

Not me... I need to borrow some myself!

GM columns: 1983 and earlier don't have the big lump or the wiper switch. (My apologies Bama, you're right about the dimmer switch. :eek:)

I wouldn't mess around trying to polish a turd. Find another column and modify the other end to fit. (We're doing that exact thing on B-tard's '37 coupe... sooner, hopefully, than later.)

I'm just saying, modifying the lower end is far less trouble than fartin' around with the delicate parts up top...

I want no part of the "delicate parts" anymore...the only thing my steering column does is steer...hoho!

Latest posts

Back