Welding question

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dyce51

I have a Century 120 wire feed welder with .030 flux core wire. I am trying to weld 1/4" plate to 1/4" plate. Being heavier steel I have the heat at about 7.5 and the wire speed at 5.5. I strike an arc for a few seconds and then the welder just hums...the edges are cleaned and beveled. I am getting very little penetration.... Thinking I need a heavier gauge welding wire...the weld I did do look like a splatterfest.... What do you guys think, any suggestions?????

Personally, I'd go with a stick welder for that thick of material. You're pushing the very limits of that welder trying to get much. Turn the power up to max and increase the wire speed is my only thought to doing it better with that welder. Unless I've got body metal to work with, the only thing you catch me doing with flux core is tacking something in position and burn it in with stick.

I'm not familiar with your machine. I suspect it's 120 volt input with maximum amperage of "maybe" 140... not nearly enough for 1/4" to 1/4" plate, unless you're welding a severely beveled butt joint... even at that, you'd have to make multiple passes.

If you don`t have another welder available, make a V-groove almost through the metal ,make a quick light pass so you have some heat in it and then weld it, or pre heat with a torch. You can weld heavy material with a light welder, but you do need heat.

120 amp? You are on the verge of doing the impossible. You need full power and reasonably slow wire speed to get some real heat and burn in there.

Make sure it is ground smooth and clean and that your GROUND clip also has a very good connection.

If it's a 'splatterfest', you may also want to make sure your polarity is correct for the type of wire you are using (flux-core vs solid)

If it's a 'splatterfest', you may also want to make sure your polarity is correct for the type of wire you are using (flux-core vs solid)

yep positive earth for flux core wire..

for whatever reason always run smoother .. bigger amps would also be beneficial ..

Latest posts

Back