Summit Racing Rant

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DozerII

Been having brake problems on the Essex, came down to needing a proportioning valve. Ordered a direct replacement one from Summit. When placing the order a couple recommended parts came up, valve centering tool for bleeding and a pig tail for the brake warning light so I ordered those as well.
Well I'm waiting for the email saying it's shipped 5 days later I phoned them and they said the pig tail is back ordered and won't be in till the 18 of Apr we will ship everything then [S I told them to ship with out the pig tail and cancel it.
So it finally arrived on Wed this week and I got it installed yesterday, gravity bleed the whole system, then had the Wife help me with the final bleed. Good hard pedal and absolutley no rear brakes. I pulled out the valve tool for bleeding and it was mangled, If I had the wife keep pressure on the pedal and cracked a front bleeder I could see the warning plunger move back and forth but always go back to the same position blocking the rear.
I called Summits tech line was on hold for 25 minutes some knowledge less Dude was on there reading stuff from a computer screen and kept putting me on hold. His answer was finally we will have to send you out another, HOLD and I will put you through to customer service, wait wait. Okay sir I will send you the special Canadian return form, fill it out and ship the old one to our holding facility in Ontario ( on my dime) then when they have enough returns they will ship them back to us , we will then inspect the item and send you a new one if we deem neccessary, NOT I could be 6 to 8 weeks before I even hear from them.

Terrible customer service will never spend another dime with them.

Sorry to hear of your north of the border issues. I have used Summit for over 20 years. Never an issue, always good tech support and customer service. They did send me the wrong wheels once, but when I phoned they immediately got a new set on the way and arranged for pickup of the incorrect set. No complaints here...

Well Dozer, ya do live in Canada.......I can see it being more of a pain to get service from US companies. I'm like BED, never any problems with them, always fast service. Just that pesky border that messes you up.

Border or no border, they should send you a replacement part with a prepaid return sticker.
It's bad enough to have to order parts without the hassle following a problem.
Are you using a residual valve in the rear lines?

I've never had a problem with Summit, but, I've never received the wrong part or needed to return anything, either!

If you don't mind "no name" parts have a look at Performance World out of Langley BC. Our local (trusted) speed shop deals with them and he won't sell junk.

http://www.performance-world.com/

Why does he need a residual valve, Old Iron? (His MC is firewall mounted.)

Yea, I know Doc, it's because of the yahoos around here that I ask questions that should be obvious, they seem to think they need one no matter where the master cylinder in relations to the wheel cylinder is and will stick it in line.
Just thought I'd ask.

Border or no border, they should send you a replacement part with a prepaid return sticker.
It's bad enough to have to order parts without the hassle following a problem.
Are you using a residual valve in the rear lines?

My thoughts exactly OI, they have no trouble taking my money and an extra
40% for shipping. If I was to do what they ask I would be 6-8 weeks without the Essex.

No I don't have a residual valve, you are about the third person to ask. My master is well above the brakes so I though it wasn't needed?

I've never had a problem with Summit, but, I've never received the wrong part or needed to return anything, either!

If you don't mind "no name" parts have a look at Performance World out of Langley BC. Our local (trusted) speed shop deals with them and he won't sell junk.

http://www.performance-world.com/

Why does he need a residual valve, Old Iron? (His MC is firewall mounted.)

Thanks Doc I will check them out, so your saying I don't need a residual valve correct.

With absolute respect, OI... I reserve the right to misinterpret everything I hear and read. ;)

Doc, you have my permission to question anything I say [ddd
Thank you.

I attempted to put a review of the prop valve on Summits site, explained what the problem was with it and how the replacement was to be handled and they refused to publish it.[S
Fancy that :rolleyes:

Things are looking up

Got two emails from a fellow higher up the food chain at Summit yesterday, that knows what customer service is all about. He told me the reason they could not post my negative product review was because I included the bad customer service in it. He offered to ship me out another prop valve of higher quality ans then pay my return freight on the faulty one. And it it already shipped. [cl[cl

Doc, you have my permission to question anything I say [ddd

Likewise. (I often open the exhaust valve before the intake closes. :eek:)

Dozer: I'm happy to hear Summit came clean.

In my opinion, they have gone to lengths to serve their Canadian customers... and by that, I mean, they created the Ontario warehouse to serve us better... which allows them to ship directly, without added fees, tax and "double billing" as it was in the past. (I've got a lovely UPS story I'll tell you next time we talk. :mad:)

P.S. No offense to UPS, (Sam) just the way they used to do things when a shipment "transformed" at the border. :eek:

Likewise. (I often open the exhaust valve before the intake closes. :eek:)

Dozer: I'm happy to hear Summit came clean.

In my opinion, they have gone to lengths to serve their Canadian customers... and by that, I mean, they created the Ontario warehouse to serve us better... which allows them to ship directly, without added fees, tax and "double billing" as it was in the past. (I've got a lovely UPS story I'll tell you next time we talk. :mad:)

P.S. No offense to UPS, (Sam) just the way they used to do things when a shipment "transformed" at the border. :eek:

Don't get me going on UPS :eek:

Latest posts

Back