Building a V-16

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fantastic to see that you are still moving ahead with it. Lightened it up by 14,000 pounds! :eek: Don't recall reading that on any other build i have followed. :D

Yes, it had double deck tool boxes full length plus a deck above that. Down the middle it had racks for about 20 ladders and even a bunch of tubes for long hooks. Firemen are like cops, they want to carry one or two of everything in the catalog. All that and the massiveness of the ariel ladder setup. That's why I kept the original frame. Nothing I'm going to do will hurt it.

If you got paid for all the stuff you took off of it you would be a well paid stripper.

Agreed.
I was just glad I didn't have to pay to get all that hauled away!

Been doing lots of measuring and working a plan. I know I have to get the crank centerlines perfect. Had a brain flash. The main saddles with no bearings are 2.940". Get straight piece of 3.0" od drill stem and turn it down to size, presto. More to come. Scored a larger shop and going to have to move. Really looking forward to better shop but not the move.

Attachments

• IMG_01931.jpg
    IMG_01931.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 35
Food for thought: Max allowable crankshaft main bearing runout is usually about 0.004" and bearing clearance is supposed to be 0.0020" to 0.0025". Be sure that whatever coupling method you use allows for the flex of your mounting system.

Also, the flexible coupling used by Sire Customs noted in post #15 is identical to the coupling used by Ford in their Transit vans. They just recalled 370,630 vehicles under a Federal safety recall because they figured out that those couplings come apart. The recall repair operation replaces the coupling with a U-joint.

I'm glad to see you haven't given up on this after two and a half years.

Food for thought: Max allowable crankshaft main bearing runout is usually about 0.004" and bearing clearance is supposed to be 0.0020" to 0.0025". Be sure that whatever coupling method you use allows for the flex of your mounting system.

Also, the flexible coupling used by Sire Customs noted in post #15 is identical to the coupling used by Ford in their Transit vans. They just recalled 370,630 vehicles under a Federal safety recall because they figured out that those couplings come apart. The recall repair operation replaces the coupling with a U-joint.

I'm glad to see you haven't given up on this after two and a half years.

I'm pretty much set on XHD double row chain for coupling the cranks. They should soak up the few thousands you mention. Ivo used it for years. Of course I don't know how often he replaced gears and chains. When I make the coupler chain I'll make two and carry a spare! On the 370,630 recall you did use a four letter word. I've seen a twin Hemi hook up with a u-joint coupler and it did soak up big misalignment between the engines. I didn't like the way it looked and it spaced the engines too far apart to my liking. BTW it did crap rods out one engine in short order. Owner told me he "just slapped them together straight up". To me that just makes one big loud V-8. I'm pretty damned determined to get the V-16 smooth and sound. 2 1/2 years on here, this crazyness has been rattling round in my head lot longer than that. Thanks for the reply. More to come.

Latest posts

Back