Signal Stat 800 to American Autowire harness

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

animal

I'm really getting frustrated at trying to figure out the wiring on an old Signal Stat 800 turn signal switch....I found a wiring diagram, but it's not very clear about what wire goes to what post on the flasher. I called American Autowire, and the guy was less than helpful. Is this switch just a bad combination for the modern harness? It was on the car, but I have no idea of whether or not it was fully functional. The owner says he "thinks" it worked. Argh!

attachment.php

Attachments

• SignalStat800Diagram.jpg
    SignalStat800Diagram.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 57
I may be wrong but I don't think it matters which way the flasher is connected. It opens due to load or resistance, when it heats up it opens when it cools it closes then it does it over and over until it is shut off.

Call American Autowire and go to Craig at extension 212. He will get you straightened out.

That is IF the signal switch works. "I think it did" should have meant buying a new one. They aren't expensive, and it's wasting your time which = money. He is stepping over your dollars to pick up dimes...

Call American Autowire and go to Craig at extension 212. He will get you straightened out.

That is IF the signal switch works. "I think it did" should have meant buying a new one. They aren't expensive, and it's wasting your time which = money. He is stepping over your dollars to pick up dimes...

Craig is who I talked to, and he blew me off. He said he couldn't help me if he didn't have the factory instructions for the switch, even though I had one in front of me and told him what wires went where.

On a positive note, Josh with AAW sent me the same diagram I have and gave me an idea about hooking it to their harness. I sent him back a message asking for clarification, so we'll see what happens. I bench tested the switch, and it seems to direct power where needed, but even with a flasher wired in, nothing blinks. Do I need to have a wire socket and bulb wired to each turn signal wire to provide a load to make the flasher work? I've spent over twelve hours trying to figure out how to wire this switch, and don't see how a new one would be any different....I still wouldn't know what wires hook to what wires on the harness.(other than the turn signal wires, which are self-explanatory) And the owner isn't thrilled about spending$50 for a 900 series switch. There are cheap ones on that auction site, but I wouldn't trust them.

On the diagram, it looks like the blue wire and the power supply are attached to the same post..is that right? Or do I need a three=prong flasher and figure out what wire goes where? It would be so much easier if someone had done this before and shared a diagram of hooking a Signal Stat 800 to an AAW harness... but that seems to be too much to hope for. :)

Attachments

• SignalStat800Diagram.jpg
    SignalStat800Diagram.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
Yes, the flasher needs a load to work.

Side note - If this guy isn't thrilled about spending $50, then he's not the kind of guy to be working for.
What is 12 hours of your time worth??

I'm doing this as a favor for an elderly man who is limited on funds but wants his car to work. I honestly don't believe there is anything wrong with the switch, and the time I spent was due to my own ignorance about electrical theory. I don't like it, but the truth of the matter is that I can route and connect wiring in a perfectly acceptable fashion, but I am, as I have stated a few times, not an electrician. I am woefully short of experience and knowledge about much of what makes some of these components do what they do. Obviously, I could never do this as a money-making venture. I have the time and energy to do what the owner can't, and want to help him out. I'm sure it will be much better when I'm done than it would have been otherwise.

Thankfully, I do believe help is on the way. Josh at AAW asked me another question via email this morning, and says he'll send me a diagram showing the hookup to the harness.

Josh at AAW stepped up and supplied the info to allow me to wire the GM-style plug to the Signal Stat turn signal switch, allowing me to just plug it into the AAW harness. I wish I could have gotten this info two days ago, but am glad to finally have someone who knows what he's talking about willing to help out an old guy without an electrical engineering background. :)

This is what he emailed me...

"I've attached a sheet pertaining to Signal Stat that our company uses. Since you are using the Dash Indicators, the BLUE wire will remain UNUSED.
To break it down for you:
Sig-Stat GREEN goes to AAW Light Blue (Left Front)
Sig-Stat RED goes to AAW Dark Blue (Right Front)
Sig-Stat YELLOW goes to AAW Purple. (Flasher Feed)
Sig-Stat GREY goes to AAW Yellow. (Left Rear)
Sig-Stat BLACK goes to AAW Dark Green (Right Rear)
Sig-Stat Black w/ GREY TRACE goes to AAW White (Brake Feed)"

Upon asking whether the red/green wire is also unused, Josh said
" Yes, that is correct. That would be if you were running single filament bulbs in the front, and needed to supply power to them for your park lamps. Since the park lamp circuit is already installed in the new AAW harness, this wire will remain unused. "

It's refreshing to get customer support like this. Now I can wire this up without any more fumbling around in the dark. :)

Latest posts

Back