Rat Rods Rule / Undead Sleds - Hot Rods, Rat Rods, Beaters & Bikes... since 2007!

Go Back   Rat Rods Rule / Undead Sleds - Hot Rods, Rat Rods, Beaters & Bikes... since 2007! > Builds!

Builds! Post your project here... show us what you're up to! Please Note: This section is for "Builds" ONLY!

Old 05-23-2019, 12:23 PM
''Rusty Mopar Slacker''

Rear axle housing mods. I just hate not being able to drain the oil from the 3rd member with out pulling it. Plus trying to get oil in the oil level plug. Might be over kill but.....

A little more beating on the fender, its getting closer all the time. I was able to preserve the detail stamped into the fender pretty well. I need to work on the lower edge and the wheel well opening where the bead broke.

I got the appraisal from the insurance yesterday. We are going to have to have a discussion about the $468.75 price for a used fender. Don't know where he came up with that figure. Other than that I pleased with his estimate.

Torchie....I don't think so. I'm way to slow and impatient for this.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3859.jpg (69.4 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3858.jpg (85.4 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3855.jpg (89.7 KB, 37 views)

'47 DODGE SHOP TRUCK

48 DODGE Pilot House Rat

MIND OVER METAL
SO LITTLE MIND IT DON'T MATTER

Last edited by I-R-POPS; 05-23-2019 at 12:35 PM.
Old 05-23-2019, 06:39 PM
Rusty Rat Rodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-R-POPS View Post
A little more progress on the fender.

I also got my new rear end housing and axles today..I pestered enough people at Speedway that they gave me a 20% discount on one of their new manufactured housings with axles. That's better than I expected. It actually looks like a good piece.

Going to put a drain and fill plug in it before I put it together. Then put on the new brackets for the ladder bars.

Still haven't heard from the insurance company. If I don't hear from them by Friday I'll probably call and pester them a little.
that axle housing is sexy
Old 05-23-2019, 07:19 PM
Rusty Rat Rodder

Nice mods on the rear end housing POPS.
When doing repairs I always recite the first line of the Hippocratic to my self. "Do no harm."
Slow and easy is good POPS.
I would tell the adjuster that for that figure for a rear fender, when he finds them, You will take two.

Torchie
Old 05-24-2019, 12:39 AM
Rusty Rat Rodder

looky much better now!
Old 05-24-2019, 01:36 AM
Rusty Rat Rodder

Agree. That fender has come a long way. well done.
Old 05-24-2019, 05:03 AM
Rusty Rat Rodder

Nice work there IR. That fender looks darn good in the picture.
Old 05-24-2019, 09:53 AM
''Rusty Mopar Slacker''

Thanks guys.
I had to do something else for a while. That's why I'm working on the rear axle. I was starting to show signs of going bonkers on the fender.
I got my ladder bar brackets cut yesterday afternoon. It was way to much work to cut the ones off the old rear end when you have a machine to cut new ones in about 30 minutes.

Got my door parts I needed so next week I should get that finished up.

Had a discussion with the adjuster and he claimed he found 3 different fenders that could be bought for that price. I told him he better verify they were for a '46-'47 pickup and call me back which he did. All three were for a flat fender power wagon. Then he says my fender can be fixed for 10 hrs. labor. We still don't agree on that.

Any one want to offer up an opinion on what an experienced body guy could do it for. I figure I'll have 20 to 25 hrs in it. But I know I'm just a hack with lots of hammers.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ED0E79B8-7D5B-4590-9199-0B87DE15F03A.jpg (116.2 KB, 12 views)

'47 DODGE SHOP TRUCK

48 DODGE Pilot House Rat

MIND OVER METAL
Old 05-24-2019, 12:58 PM
Rusty Rat Rodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-R-POPS View Post
Thanks guys.
I had to do something else for a while. That's why I'm working on the rear axle. I was starting to show signs of going bonkers on the fender.
I got my ladder bar brackets cut yesterday afternoon. It was way to much work to cut the ones off the old rear end when you have a machine to cut new ones in about 30 minutes.

Got my door parts I needed so next week I should get that finished up.

Had a discussion with the adjuster and he claimed he found 3 different fenders that could be bought for that price. I told him he better verify they were for a '46-'47 pickup and call me back which he did. All three were for a flat fender power wagon. Then he says my fender can be fixed for 10 hrs. labor. We still don't agree on that.

Any one want to offer up an opinion on what an experienced body guy could do it for. I figure I'll have 20 to 25 hrs in it. But I know I'm just a hack with lots of hammers.
So since you're already fixing it on your own, are they just going to give you a payout? Up here it's common to wait until you come to an agreement with insurance and then start working on it or get it worked on so I'm just curious how this will work.

Do you know what the shop rate is for metal work in your area? Up here it's not uncommon to be $85-120/hr, and higher end shops are even higher. So say your fender needed 20 hours of metal and body work at $100/hr, that's an easy $2000 without shop supplies or materials.

My '46 GMC on Photobucket
---------------------------------------------------------------
When you don't know what you're doing, it's best to do it quickly.

And when Iím gone, you can call me foolish but hopefully not boring. I will have lived.

The more I learn about women, the more I like my car.
Old 05-24-2019, 06:13 PM
''Rusty Mopar Slacker''

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05snopro440 View Post
So since you're already fixing it on your own, are they just going to give you a payout? Up here it's common to wait until you come to an agreement with insurance and then start working on it or get it worked on so I'm just curious how this will work.

Do you know what the shop rate is for metal work in your area? Up here it's not uncommon to be $85-120/hr, and higher end shops are even higher. So say your fender needed 20 hours of metal and body work at $100/hr, that's an easy $2000 without shop supplies or materials.
I told them I run my own shop and will be fixing it myself. The Insurance company did the appraisal in house since it is an"antique one of a kind piece".
And of course they low balled the labor at $45 hr and sent me a check. It said on the appraisal that came with the check that it was a "beginning estimate" to work off of.

The going rate around here for body work is $75 to $110 hr. so they are going to have to do better than that. I work out of my shop for $65 so I'm thinking they need to pony up that amount at least.

'47 DODGE SHOP TRUCK

48 DODGE Pilot House Rat

MIND OVER METAL
Old 05-28-2019, 08:41 PM
''Rusty Mopar Slacker''

Default And more .....

Got a little more done. Not every exciting but itís progress.
Been fighting a losing battle with my dang knee since Feb.
Another knee surgery June 14th. I hope to have this puppy
Drivable before that puts a halt to work.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg F1DACB21-F136-4013-81E0-BBE8377864E1.jpg (102.2 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg F91B1513-516E-4C63-88EC-241584F24239.jpg (104.3 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg 865A8C45-59B6-4822-A694-F1A20DE915EC.jpg (92.0 KB, 30 views)

'47 DODGE SHOP TRUCK

48 DODGE Pilot House Rat

MIND OVER METAL