I'm Gonna Build A Dragster!

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ha Bob,
Ok got it on the carb, thanks for getting me straight. 78 primary sounds like it is much better with no bog. I still think you might be a little rich, maybe a 76 jet? After you make a pass at the drags you might pull a plug and just see what it looks like so you can make a jet change at home if you need to.

Will be interesting to see how it leaves with Dave hard on the transbrake. Are you going to drive at the race or is Dave?

94 octane should be fine with your compression. What kind of finish line rpm do you think you might be turning?

Wish I was there to see it run.[cl[cl

The dragster is locked and loaded, ready to go to Byron, Illinois for the Glory Days race. Dave and his friend Mike will take the car down Thursday and check in, get it inspected. I'll leave for the 6 hour drive early Friday morning. Dave is racing the car. I'll be there for Friday and probably Saturday.
Glory Days is run by the drag strip crew whereas the Meltdown was run by a bunch of dedicated volunteers. Sure hope it is as good as it used to be.

Please post lots of pictures of Glory Days Bob.

Sure do wish I could have made it this year but my pit crew (wife) couldn't get away as her assistant had eye surgery scheduled and she can't be away without having someone she can leave in charge of her department. I've tried running the car with a "pickup" pit crew but it just doesn't work for me.

Anyway, sure hope you have all the bugs ironed out on the "Silver Bullet". Looking forward to hearing all about it. Good luck to all of you and give my best to Dave.

That is great news, take it easy & make a couple of stops during that 6 hour drive. Glad to see your feeling better, keep up the good work.

Tell Dave I wish him a good, productive & safe weekend. Really looking forward to how this carb setup & new convertor like the "Silver Bullet". Hope Dave is able to use the trans brake or at least foot brake her hard so we can see how this convertor fits into the game.

Sure wish I was there, maybe next year.[cl

Dave and Mike took the dragster down Thursday and checked in, got it inspected. I left home at 5:45 this morning and 6 hours later was at the drag strip. It reached 95 degrees with unbearable humidity. I thought I was taking a chance staying there and getting overheated. After 4 hours I packed it in and went home.

Dave made two runs while I was there. The best was 11.60 @ 112. The dragster left hard but I don't have the 60' times. He should get some more runs in tonight and Saturday. I don't expect record performance with the heat.

I took a few pics.

Attachments

• Glory Days 001.jpg
    Glory Days 001.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 45
  • Glory Days 005.jpg
    Glory Days 005.jpg
    134.6 KB · Views: 48
  • Glory Days 006.jpg
    Glory Days 006.jpg
    144.9 KB · Views: 49
  • Glory Days 007.jpg
    Glory Days 007.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 41
  • Glory Days 008.jpg
    Glory Days 008.jpg
    116.5 KB · Views: 42
  • Glory Days 009.jpg
    Glory Days 009.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 46
  • Glory Days 011.jpg
    Glory Days 011.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 39
(see story and a few pics from Glory Days Drags, last entry on previous page.)

Larry, It was a good year to miss with the oppressive weather. There were around 150 no-shows probably because of the heat. Good for the cars that were there as the staging lines were short.

Tom, I didn't do one thing to the tune up to attempt getting better performance. It should be cooler for the next two races. I'd like to get the two 2 barrel carbs on it for the next race.

Last edited:
Bob, real smart move on your part to head home. I have done some 95+ races out this way in Bakersfield and it is no fun and we don't have the hummity. Sounds like the convertor is working like it should. I'm with you on the 2x2 & the plenum intake, all in time. Hope Dave is able to make a few runs when it cools down a bit. Keep us informed.

Heat and humidity are two of my least favorite things. :mad:

Where are the next two races, Bob? (I hope conditions are better so you can enjoy them.)

P.S. Thanks for the pics. The Nash Metro looks like serious piece... does it run and race, or just sit there looking good? Bolt-on roll bar/cage? [S

Yes, Doc, I'm feeling the effects of the heat and humidity. Didn't do much today. The next race is at Brainerd, where you have funny car experience. We have the strip the week after a national event so it will be really sticky. That's the end of August.

The Fall Out is 2-3 weeks later.

I don't know anything about the Metropolitan except is was a pro-style build. Could be a runner or could be a turntable car.

The Rover found a new owner last week. Too many cars, not enough energy anymore.

Well Bob, glad you are feeling better today. When will you hear from Dave on any other runs? We all hope for better weather conditions for the next two races. Ain't no picnic for Dave with all his safety equipment on and 95 degrees & humidity off the chart. :eek: Dixie said she can remember those 95-100 in the staging lanes.;);)

We have the strip the week after a national event so it will be really sticky.

I see Brainerd has their division race and their national event scheduled back-to-back. If it doesn't rain for three days, you should be set!

BTW: We liked the division race when they had it first week of June... no sweat, or not nearly as much.

Well I'll be dipped. Dave laid down an 11.38 @ 114 Saturday night, after it cooled down a skooch. That's over 2 tenths quicker than the previous personal best. And Dave weighs almost 100 pounds more than me. I'm guessing with the hot, thin air it was very rich. Too bad I wasn't there to try some jet changes.

Yes, Dr. C, it could be 50 degrees F or 90 degrees F. the end of August. You never know when fall will arrive in Mosquitoville.

In past years, the week after the national event you can lose your shoes on the starting line, it's that sticky.

Bob, real nice pass Dave made Saturday night with the heat off a bit but the water grans off the chart.

Hope you get the plenum with two 2100/2150 on and tuned for the next race. I think you will be real surprised at performance after you get the bugs out.[cl

11.38 is pretty impressive. Glad you chose to get out of the heat. Couple years ago it was like this .. I was sick for a week after.

We are planning to be at the Fallout and my wife is determined that nothing will prevent us from going. I hope she's right but until the wheels are rolling I won't be holding my breath. First outing for Sheets this year will be at Gimli, our local track, in two weeks. Hopefully all will go well.

Latest posts

Back