Old school hotrod model A pickup

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You do have a point.
I just hate spending money if I don't have to. But I probably would be money ahead to just get a kit rather than trying to find all the parts individually.
Thanks.

Do you have a part number for that kit?
All I can find are the spindles or the brakes, not both.

No Bob there isn't. That's why I included the cost of the pre-bushed '37-'41 style spindles in my bundle up there. ;)

Just wanted to clarify that the are no disc brake kits for Model A spindles, unless you knew of one. There's new stuff coming along all the time.

Aftermarket spindles require bolt on steering arms the take either Heim Joints or tie rod ends different than Model A tie rod ends. Do a little research and you'll figure out what you need.

'39 to '48 Ford drum brakes fit Model A spindles using a $20 adapter kit from Speedway. Find a guy that is removing them from his hot rod to put on disc brakes and buy them from him. They should be okay for a light Model A.

Do you have a part number for that kit?
All I can find are the spindles or the brakes, not both.

Brakes is one of those places where you kinda have to spend some money. ;)

I was just combining the cost of the disc brake kit and the pre-bushed '37-'41 spindles. They don't actually come together.

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Steering-and-Brake-Kit-for-46-Inch-Ford-Axle,50938.html
This is the kit I am looking at.
I am going with the plain finish and Chevy bolt pattern and this kit addresses the dropped axle.
This will more than double the money I have in the project, but it should be a good setup and should be money well spent. I can cut costs somewhere else.
I need to find a different rear end again. I would like to find a GM axle with disc brakes. Any suggestions for a junkyard search?

Well, I figured since my low budget idea is tossed out the window, I am going to get a little fancier with the chassis.
I am going to go with a c4 corvette rear suspension. I can get a complete one for what I would have in setting up a regular rear end.
Add in the additional cool factors of corvette, posi, and IRS, and I think I will have a winner.

IRS with a beam front axle? Not sure what the advantages or even feasibility of that is - could be a handling disaster. Also not sure how you are adding up cost. A perfectly suitable GM rear end can be had for usually around $100 (or less if you dig), and will fit the build much better. Clean up the drums, some new shoes and wheel cylinders, and you are in business. Rear discs are completely unnecessary on a light hot rod such as this. I think you are overthinking this a little bit, but that's just my $.02...

By the time I replaced the brakes and buy a ladder bar setup, I will have the cost of a complete corvette rear suspension. I found a decent looking one for around $600.
Looks like an easier setup also.
More for looks than performance.

Performance was my first point. I have serious doubts about the handling of vehicle equipped with IRS and a solid axle front end. It's completely backwards. As far as looks go, mixing a very traditional early style front end with a modern rear just doesn't jive in the aesthetics department. Again, just my $.02. It's your build.

I hit the button and ordered the vette rear suspension yesterday.
Now I need to get a spot in the garage cleaned out so I can get the frame inside to work on it.

88 corvette rear suspension came today. Looks awesome.
Still need to make room in the garage, but now I have a little more motivation.

Thought I would give you an update on the project progress.
I got a spot in the garage cleaned out and hope to get the frame moved inside today.
413100377.jpg
413100376.jpg

Here are pictures of the front and rear ends.

413103355.jpg

Got the rear end in the garage and set about where it will be.
Pay no attention to the messy bench.

413111787.jpg

Finally got this picture to load.
Working out some details on how to fasten things. I am going to use longer heim joints and shafts to replace the dog bone trailing arms. I am also going to remove the fiberglass rear spring in favor of coil over shocks. Also working on making the brackets for the rear mounts. Not quite as easy as I had originally thought, but not bad. My biggest problem is that the rear of the pickup is too light to smoosh down the spring.

Latest posts

Back