anvil stand

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jfg455

The Hot Rod Cop
So I was A: bored B: needing to adjust cut speeds on my CNC plasma table and C: tripping over pieces of 1/4" plate so I whipped up this stand so I can get my anvil off of my rolling cart. I still need to add the angle iron to the top to hold the anvil on it.

Nice work, mine is jealous :(
[cl[cl[cl[cl

anvel_zps43573505.jpg

beutifull work on the stand. I have mine mounted on a steel stand also and was told by a trained black smith that it is bad for the anvil to mount it on steel. He said it should be mounted on wood so that it has some cushion and also rebound. he said when mounted on steel it will stress crack and eventualy break. It was news to me . I will probably put a piece of 2" oak between the two.

beutifull work on the stand. I have mine mounted on a steel stand also and was told by a trained black smith that it is bad for the anvil to mount it on steel. He said it should be mounted on wood so that it has some cushion and also rebound. he said when mounted on steel it will stress crack and eventualy break. It was news to me . I will probably put a piece of 2" oak between the two.

I have 8 anvils mounted on steel stands and the school I teach at has 18 mounted on steel stands. They all see regular use, including double striking with 8 pound hammers. I know plenty of "trained" blacksmiths who use the steel stands. Never had one or heard of one breaking because of a steel stand. I wouldn't worry about the oak board.

Like I said , it was news to me, just passing along what I was told. My anvil was my Great, Great Grandfathers and still has a nice ring to it and it does'nt see much use anymore so it will probally out live me.

There is a subtle difference between anvils mounted on wood or steel. On steel there is more "bounce back" from the hammer blow or a more concentrated force on the strike. The wood will dampen it and sloften the blow slightly. It all depends on what you are used to working on or the feel you like to get from it. Mine does ring a bit more now that it is on steel...[;)

Cornfields stand was making mine look like a 3 day old egg salad sandwich so I decided to finish mine a bit more. I added the angle iron top so I can stop chasing my anvil all over the place. Then I slathered it in some industrial red paint. [cl

Latest posts

Back