Drag racing ...Parachute fail....

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's the way one of the top fuel guys died a few years ago, no chutes, straight into the wall. Can't remember now who it was, watched a vid of it on youtube, awful way to go.

That's the way one of the top fuel guys died a few years ago, no chutes, straight into the wall. Can't remember now who it was, watched a vid of it on youtube, awful way to go.

That would be Scott Kalitta, 10 years ago.

Scott's death prompted a major revamp. Many NHRA tracks lacked adequate "shut down" length for fuel cars turning 300+ MPH... long story short, fuel cars no longer run a full 1/4 mile (1320'), but a shortened course of 1000'.

I dislike 1000' racing because I can't wrap my head around 1000' ETs... regardless, I understand the need. Today's fuel cars are running 330 - 340 MPH in 1000'... as fast, or faster than they were 10 years ago through 1320' :eek:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cfdDBq4POh4

Thanks for the memory jog Dr C, it was Scott Kalitta. After I saw the video the first time, I had to wonder why in the heck anybody would design a drag strip like that with a wall at the end, knowing that could be possible .[S Space limitations I guess. I've seen other tracks with insufficient shutdown areas, but at least they were flat, if you ran off the end you would end up in a farmer's field or something, not into a solid wall.

I'm with you on 1000' racing, I don't see the point. We have mostly 1/8th mile tracks around here, plenty long for good racing, and the math is the same no matter where you go or what you run. There are a couple of 1/4 mile tracks in state, but they usually run 1/8th mile unless they are having some kind of special event.

Here's the top end at Englishtown on a normal day. No concrete barriers in the sand trap, public road immediately "south" of the tree line. (Like you said, Bama, there's no more real estate available.)

Strange as it may seem, the concrete barriers didn't kill Scott. His car tumbled over the barrier and struck the next heavy object, a boom lift/camera platform. "They" say he drilled the lift @ 125 MPH and that collision made for his blunt force demise. (Arrow below indicates the boom lift.)

attachment.php

Attachments

• Jersey Old Bridge.jpg
    Jersey Old Bridge.jpg
    108.1 KB · Views: 39
I haven't really read much on it Dr C, just watched a few of the videos that popped up when I was watching something else. It sure looked like he drilled the wall and came to a dead stop from the camera angle I seen.

From your pic, I wouldn't want to run 1/4 mile there, not enough shutdown room. Moot point I guess, I think they shut it down this year anyway.

there is another drag strip that the shut down area crosses a highway. i don't remember which it was or if they still use that track or not.

Latest posts

Back