Has anybody sold a project before you finished it???

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikec4193

Hi Everybody

Like the title says....have any of you guys sold a rat rod project before you got it done???...
I currently have two (2) half done projects that are not doing it for me anymore...One is a 1952/53 Chevy truck I have listed on here that I have not touched since Dec. 2011 and the other is a 1961/62 Willys truck on a S10 running gear/chassis that is not doing it for me either anymore (been tinkering on since Oct 2013)...The Willys is really giving me the "willies" now...

I don't dislike them but I dont really enjoy working on them anymore...I feel as tho my ADHD or whatever it is called is kicking in more and more as I get older...

I am not sure if this is the norm or not...could I have out grown them before I got them done????

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated...

MikeC

this is my first rat , but I have sold many projects that were un-finnished , I just got tired of them or the new wore off ,, Id say its normal as long as you have something else in mind ,,, well that was always the reasons I sold mine ,,, to get something else I wanted more .....As I look back , I sold alot of good projects that (now) I wish I would have kept . Not all but alot :D

It sure isn't unusual. I have yet to finish a street vehicle. Started at least 6 of them over the years and would get so far along, and someone would want it more than me. A couple of them involved more money than I could turn down. I have built and raced three different stock cars (years ago) and built an airplane start to finish (that was a long drawn out deal) and flew it for a number of years. (No longer fly as pilot in command.) So... I have managed to finish somethings. Right now I'm sitting on a slew of projects that I most likely won't have enough life time left to complete, so your not alone. Not sure if there are many in this hobby that don't suffer from ADD in some form or other. It's not hard to get distracted with a large project and daydream that there is something more attainable on the horizon. Only to have it go by the wayside also. Nah.....your normal, your just one of us.:D

I have had a couple that I thought I really wanted until the new wore off. I have found that I really like the late 20s and early 30s more than all the rest. If it is one in that range, I will usually finish it. anything else is questionable.
I found that I have to have something to be doing and when I was between projects due to funds and the $$$ were slim, I would start the project from the pile -o-parts and decide "I would rather be doing something different" sell and get back on track. Just my $0.02

Im thinking about selling some of my stuff also.I just cant find the time to work on them.I have not worked on any of my rats since March.

In the last 18 years I've built 14 cars. All but one were licensed and driveable or raced. I sold an AD truck project after 80% of the fabrication was complete.

I just keep my head down and do one task at a time. That way I don't get dismayed by the enormity of a project.

I'm only 73 and have the parts and ideas for 6 more projects. That will keep me busy for a while.

Oh gosh yes. Doing a huge build is hard. There is something to be said for buying a decent driver and working on it as you drive it. I am struggling with whether or not to sell the AD-kota since I haven't touched it a year. So, relax, you're normal.

My Sons and I keep selling each other and giving each other cars. I bought this 46 Ford in Daytona maybe 7 years ago, and had it for a couple of years. Then I was knee deep in my 27 restoration and asked my Son Don if he wanted the 46, so he bought it from me for what I paid. He had it for a few more years and bought some stuff, like a parallel spring set up, floor patch panels, a power brake setup, and some other parts, but it basically sat.

About a year ago I got the urge to have it back so I offered him what he now had in it and I bought it back. But I promised him that when I die he gets it back and Dan gets my RPU, because most of the stuff on the RPU came from Dan anyway.

We rarely sell anything to anyone else, we just keep passing it around the family.

Don

I've ditched a few engines, trans, 1 c10 and 1 73 camaro rs/ss. Should kept that c10 and the camaro and ditched my 65 c10

Last edited:
So on a side note...is Craigslist the choice way to buy and sell most these projects?...I seem to get more interest for my stuff on there than I do on here...

Just wondering out loud thats all...

MikeC

I sold my '48 Dodge and then came to my senses and backed out. I really wanted to finish it. It's still not done but it's a blast to drive and I still have plans for it.

Pretty much everything I ever started. For various reasons, in over my head, lots due to moving, out of money but the worst was being spread too thin with way too many projects going. I have disciplined myself to not keep dragging in those still birth projects. Now I might have plans but quickly can evaluate how much resources one will consume and part it out or pass it on.

Seems like after I get something running and driving it's time for something new. However, as a side note, when I get the 37 Dodge finished I'm going to keep it......I swear:)

Latest posts

Back