So do you drink while you wrench?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very very rarely we I / we have a beer.....and if we do, it's always after the work is done....

.....but the cans do make such great radiator overflow bottle/conversation starters.......

I don't drink. Never have. When I was young people would say "What are you, some kind of a wimp?" Now as I get older I get "Oh, I'm sorry, I didn't know" as if I used to drink but now I'm in AA.
Funny how most think you should drink or used to drink but now can't handle it.

I don't really drink much or often, mainly due to some health issues I have. Heck, I didn't even try alcohol until way after I was 21.

However, after a day working in the heat on projects, sometimes a cold beer or two does hit the spot. But I would never drink while working on something or drink if I knew I had to drive later.

Something that no-one has said in this thread yet - I'll quite often open a beer to force me to slow down a bit, stand back, have a sip, look at what I am actually doing for a minute, rather than just launching into it. Especially if I'm a bit hesitant about an idea or plan. I've watched guys at work who smoke do the same thing with a cigarette I guess...
Nothing better than a beer or two while doing boring stuff like disassembly or cleaning up.
Pretty much always open a beer if I'm sitting down to draw up parts to CNC cut in CAD as well.
Is it bad that I am a better welder after a couple of cold ones? :D

I always have beer at the shop, but I might have only one and only as I'm winding down and cleaning up. My shop is in a big row with others and there are some guys that can build pyramids with their empties. It's just too much for me. They run out and always know that I have some and they come by and check on me...not because they're really interested in my build, but because they always know I'll offer them a beer! :D I also always keep Gatorade and water...several times this summer I know I had heat exhaustion from not hydrating enough as I was working. :eek:

-Troy

I'll have a room temp. 'classy beer' on occasion in the winter. In the summer, depending on what I'm doing, I may have from zero to a six pack of tall boys. After that, it's time for yard work.

BASIC RULES:

After opening a beer:
No spinning tools other than a drill.
No saws (except sawzall on wood)
No motor surgery

After about 1 beer/hr:
No work on critical components

2 or more/hr:
Generally down to disassembly or simple assembly
- only with hand tools

More than that:
Sanding - because I hate it and being drunk is the only way I can stand it.

I can not drink Mountain Dew throwback and still function. My tolerance and patience go to zero and I want to force things to work with a hammer.

Only if it's Guiness.....

None of the other stuff suits me....like that Dark beer....but I've never had more than one while working in the barn.....not a drinker per se....

Beer-s

Well i for one believe that my "rat" looks prettier after iv worked hard on it and am sitting in my easy chair enjoying a few, admiring my work, and planning for the next challenge... Think of it as imagination fluid!! [p
d/b

ICE WATER! so cold it makes your throat hurt. I drink a gallon a day usually. But after all the work is done and a few guys show up to the shop then it is a Sam Adams Black or a honey porter. Just a couple, thats all. hang overs are for the young guys.

Drinking tends to make me lazy so I usually save it for cleaning up and winding down stage, unless were just hanging out and just drinking and then nothing gets started to wind down from.lol

I enjoy a Lager or two, but in most cases, it's well after the work is done. Clean up time and a cold one go well together

Whether it's a cold beer, a marguarita, or my personal favorites, Jager bombs or bloody marys......they all taste better at the END of the day.
As for what the OP said about a 4 to 6 beer buzz.....not everyone has to drink 4 to 6 beers or drinks every time they drink.
Party time is one thing but working around the house or garage is quite another.....my two cents....:)

Never really loved beer, so not drinking it is fairly easy for me. I might have one (if there is any even at the house) on a hot day after mowing the grass. I seem to be drawn to scotch instead. Cant drink too many, and I have a 'rule' that I dont drink before 5PM.

Drinkin is for celebrating after work or after a project is done, not during.....
This was a rule my shop followed when we were racing and now restoring cars and making hot rods.[;)

gin

a scientist whos name i forget i paraphrase as saying "discovery oftens comes over a good stiff gin".

I find in moderation it quiets the busy mind and makes it receptive to the subconcious.but I'm talking about having a drink and not about getting drunk. I dont like intoxication anymore. I had my fill in my 20's.

Latest posts

Back