So do you drink while you wrench?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ICE WATER! so cold it makes your throat hurt. I drink a gallon a day usually. But after all the work is done and a few guys show up to the shop then it is a Sam Adams Black or a honey porter. Just a couple, thats all. hang overs are for the young guys.

Frank Sinatra once said "I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, they feel as good as they are going to feel for the rest of the day".

I may be getting old, but I agree with John...hang overs are for the young'uns, because it takes to much of the day to feel better:D

I quit 35 years ago. By then I had consumed my lifetime allotment. Stick welding while drinking a 12 pack is a bad combination!

Respose to Sam:
No problem with the beer. I never met a beer I didn't like.
After too many beers I would strike an arc, then remember to pull the helmet down. Ouch! The smell fo cooking flesh was all too comon from picking up hot pieces of metal.
Then, my level and measuring devices would all seem to go bad. Parts and brackets, etc would come out a little funny.

On a hot summer evening I might have one or two in my shop. Also I go to a couple friends shops and they drink beer, have a well stocked fridge in the shop. Fortunately they drink domestic swill so it doesn't have the same affect on me as real beer, just have to pee a lot. Even then the beer usually comes out after the tasks at hand have ended. You just can't drink much beer when you are busy with wrenches or welding. Plus I still have to drive home so I limit myself to about one an hour.

Besides, when we all drink too much, I get a lot smarter and everyone else gets stupider so it's very annoying.

Geesus fishin Christ, I mean cheez and rice!

Has anyone noticed you sponge nosed bottle babies can't make a distinguished case between drinking and getting drunk?

lol just kidding I meant to say lets get a case drink it till were distinguised lol

No-one is giving out a chip for being able to drink right up to the edge of shanity. It takesh alot of practish and experience to learn... to learn... to learn...what lines you probably should not have croshed.

You are right about the practice

I practice about every day enough to make life tolerable but not to much to make me hate the morning. but this week I did something I should of known not to do. I love egg nog(the dairy kind) last weekend I picked up some with alcohol in it. was ganna save it for the weekend but wednesday night I thought I will just have a glass. it was good stuff . rich and smooth and strong . one glass turned into two and then the whole bottle was gone. would not off been a ploblem if I could of slept it off but had to get up early. man , I was not fealing my best the next morning. Apparently I still need more practice.

Have had a few with my dad working on his 65 Malibu! Never really made it very far with the car we start bsing and that's about it.

... one glass turned into two and then the whole bottle was gone. ....

Drinking like that is really bad for your health! Not to get up on a soap box or anything BR, but as a friend that has been down that path I feel I need to speak out. I mean, do you have any idea how many calories are in a bottle of that stuff!?! You'll get fat.

I like to have a few at night when my work is done. But never during. Too many tools that can cause injury. :eek:

I always have cold beer in the garage fridge. If Im working on my own projects, and Im by myself, I will occcasioanlly have a couple during a long thrash session.
When my buddys come around, it normally turns into a BS session and instead of getting any work done, the beer flows like water. They also know that if what I am doing is important, I have no qualms cutting them off and kicking em all out.
I run a small side buisness out of my garage also. And NEVER does a beer appear if Im working on customer projects.

At the end of the day there is nothing like a good cigar to enjoy while looking over your work and planning your next work session. And a good cigar is pretty useless without a cocktail. Not every day, but once in a while. And once the cocktails start, all work has a tendacy to stop...

I am a recovering alcoholic. In February it will be 6 years. I can drink a beer and be ok, but if i touch a second one, im in trouble. Almost always, I leave the first one alone. Only on rare social occasions. Back when I drank, if there was a wrench, there was a beer.

Congrats on the sobriety.....

I've got a buddy of mine that is going on 27 years of sobriety.....I know it's a tough road...keep up the good work.........

Ive had one or two during a night. I had a buddy come over the other night with an 18 pack with full intentions of just hanging out and having a few cold ones. We ended up working on the rat and only had 3 between the both of us the entire night.
I'm not much of a drinker anymore just cause it makes me feel like crap, then i cant focus. Heck ive found ive had to redo work just having friends around to hang out. I loose focus there too and the quality suffers.

We might have a beer at the end of a long hot night of work, but that is about it. Last night the 3 of us went to the shop and made the mistake of having a beer first, then we broke out the gas grill, cooked some steaks and watched American Grafitti instead of getting any work done. But I think we all needed to just BS and laugh for a while.

Don

Latest posts

Back