Smaller engine rat rods??

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
HI guys

Thanks for all the input....I guess I am not a typical rat rodder...

Kinda sounds like some of you guys arent really into the small engines....I raced 4 cylinders (Dodge Neons)at the local dirt track for 10 years and had a blast. I could race a whole night for $5.00 in gas in the tank. We were only 1 second slower than the V8 Hobby stocks were and we spent about a 1/4 of the cost of those cars. I have never run a V8 so I have never felt that V8 feeling; also my budget for fun stuff is very very slim (saving for my retirement) so something that is good on gas would make me want to drive it more I would hope at least.

MikeC

i have been wanting to build a car that looks like a 1920's indy car
but with a toyota 22re engine.
that goes against what everybody here seems to think is cool.
i noticed quite a few sprint cars run motorcycle engines.
build something neat
and show it to us!

When the main reason to enjoy the car is cruising down the back roads, size does not matter. I had a volvo powered 25 roadster that I really enjoyed. Wish I had it back. The current owner has it for 6 yrs and seems to enjoy. I traded a 28rpu for a finished 27 roadster with a 2.8 eng and trans. does 80 mph as easy as anything @ 26 mpg. No it doesn't sound like a V/8 but you get used to it. Just my 2 cents.

a site that i used to go to and was a paying member of had a few 4 cylinders and most where the turbo 4's from ford and them things ran like stink. but i love the sound of a v8. you can get a pretty good sound out of a inline 6 with split headers but it doesn't sound like a 8. if you do go with a 4 or 6 turbo it and you will love it. i have thought about pulling my small block out of my roadster i'm trying to build for a turbo 4, but every time i look at it it screams big block, with a choice of a 454 chevy, 455 olds or a 460 ford, i just can't make up my mind.

Last edited:
I'm partial to flat head sixes (Mopar) myself. I like the sound and the look. A V8 just looks too short to me. A flat head eight would be even better....

Nobody has mentioned turbos yet. I've been running V8's for 30 years but a few years ago I decided, with the economy and the price of gas, changes needed to be made. I'm getting well over 300 hp outta the 2.3 turbo in my Mustang and if I can keep my foot out of it (big if!) 28-30 mpg is easily attainable. That's why it's gonna power my '27 roadster! And, as far as the sound, with the 3" exhaust and Dynaflow muffler it's got a pretty awesome throaty roar to it!

Thunderstangengine.jpg

P9260001.jpg

Nobody has mentioned turbos yet. I've been running V8's for 30 years but a few years ago I decided, with the economy and the price of gas, changes needed to be made. I'm getting well over 300 hp outta the 2.3 turbo in my Mustang and if I can keep my foot out of it (big if!) 28-30 mpg is easily attainable. That's why it's gonna power my '27 roadster! And, as far as the sound, with the 3" exhaust and Dynaflow muffler it's got a pretty awesome throaty roar to it!

Thunderstangengine.jpg

P9260001.jpg

you didn't read #23 then.:eek::D i believe i need to find your build thread.

It really comes down to power and simple math. X # of HP requires Y LBS/HR of fuel to generate it. It doesn't matter if it a 1 cylinder or 57 cylinders, Turbo'ed, supercharged or naturally aspirated. Some engines will be a little more efficiant than others but it is only =/- a couple of % in the long run. Clear as mud?[S[cl

I was helping a friend who had a Saturn junk yard. I was always eye balling those twin cam engines thinking one of those in a track T. Same with the Quad 4, cool looking twin cam engine.

I've been interested in some of the newer "higher power" 4 cylinders, but my understanding, is it's difficult to switch them over from transverse mount for a rear wheel drive application ???

so I've been looking at the older 2 valve Ford 2.3 liter motor... but really any of the newer pick up truck motors should be easier to use than the zippy car motors with their transverse mount motors...

but I personally haven't been in a parts yard for years, so I don't know if a machined adaptor would be all that would be needed to switch a "quad 4" or "v-tec" motor to a regular tranny or if there are other issues to overcome ???

I've been interested in some of the newer "higher power" 4 cylinders, but my understanding, is it's difficult to switch them over from transverse mount for a rear wheel drive application ???

so I've been looking at the older 2 valve Ford 2.3 liter motor... but really any of the newer pick up truck motors should be easier to use than the zippy car motors with their transverse mount motors...

but I personally haven't been in a parts yard for years, so I don't know if a machined adaptor would be all that would be needed to switch a "quad 4" or "v-tec" motor to a regular tranny or if there are other issues to overcome ???

QUAD 4 RODS makes adapters and bell housings to put automatics, T-5s or 4 sp. muncies behind quad 4s and int. and ext. manifolds and some other parts that I can't remember.

While I kinda get why someone would consider putting a 4 cylinder in their hot rod, so they could afford to drive it more often, that is not why I build a hot rod in the first place. I want that push in my back when I step down on the gas and the feeling you get when you pull up to a light and know there isn't much around you that is quicker. Hot rods are supposed to be your escape from the mundane daily lives most of us lead, and HP is the only cure for that.

My 27 only gets maybe 10 mpg with the engine and deep rear gears I am runnng, but each of those miles sure is fun ! :D:D

Don

For me, the Studie RPU project gets a V-8... but I found that model T chassis, & it has me intrested... I may have to build a speedster... I'd think a modern 4 cylinder, 5 speed in a glorified go cart on taller wheels, should have plenty of push in the back [S

why not go to something like a Northstar caddy motor? In the 4600 lb deville they knock down 24mpg. Now slide that into a madel A and you should be up around 28mpg. And they make 300hp and sound mean with a good exhaust. Plus you can turn them to 6800 no problem [;)

i have been wanting to build a car that looks like a 1920's indy car
but with a toyota 22re engine.
that goes against what everybody here seems to think is cool.
i noticed quite a few sprint cars run motorcycle engines.
build something neat
and show it to us!

. I may have to build a speedster... I'd think a modern 4 cylinder, 5 speed in a glorified go cart on taller wheels, should have plenty of push in the back [S

yepper

Mine runs a straight six F250 from a 71 Torino. On top of that its got a 9" with 2:73 highway gears in it. Fuel economy in mine should be pretty nice!!!!

the 4 tech (iron duke new style) and the quad 4 will bolt to a 2.8 v6 trans that would be the lite weight 700r4 and the 5 speed.

Latest posts

Back