Cab conundrum

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gold03

He lives in an "Altered State"!
I need to remove the cab from my 49 Ford to do a little rust repair on the floor and front cab mounts. What do you guys use to hold the cab for this kind of work without causing damage?

Do you still have the front mounts on the cab? if they are solid I imagine you can lift the front up there to work on the bottom, I don't have the front mounts on mine anymore, so I put straps around the A-Pillars and lifted/tilted it with the engine hoist to get at the bottom.

"Conundrum" is a cool word.

I also like the inner tube idea. Ditto on using a trucker strap through the windows and lifting with a hoist.

Conundrum.....Conundrum.....Conundrum.... I like the word.
P3180073.jpg
[/QUOTE]

I stood mine up on the firewall to do the under work on the floor and mounts.

attachment.php

Attachments

• 27.jpg
    27.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 69
Do you have a engine puller/Cherry picker?
You can take out the extendable arm. Put it back in upside down so the chain bracket is facing upwards.
Attach a 4X4 using the the bracket as a pivot point. Insert thru open door window and start to pump. You will be lifting the cab. Over head chainfall is great if you have enough ceiling height. If you use a strap be careful of the gutters. Doesn't take much to get them out of wack.
Or just get some friends over to help pick it up. They don't weigh much especialy with the doors off.
I flipped that 18 foot wooden boat over with just myself and one other guy.
Torchie.

Thanks for all the ideas guys. My biggest concern is getting it all out of square. I could tack it all and final weld when sitting back on the mounts. Sure would be nice to have more room.

Latest posts

Back