Steering Gear Boxes

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

probchld1953

Was going through the computer at the parts store I work at, looking at various gear box configurations. Trying to figure what will work in a side steer under the dash or down on the frame situation. How about show a pic of your box and tell what it is out of ,and any concerns you had with it.

I don't have a picture handy but mine is a 1961 Ford 4x4 pu box. It would work well but is pretty worn. I am trying to upgrade this spring. To what I am not sure.

Strange as it may seem, there are not a whole lot of steering boxes that lend themselves to hot rod steering, especially if you want the drag link parallel to the frame rail. Here are some choices:

Early Ford pickup, like '53-56 (maybe earlier too) This is the one I generally use as it almost bolts in place of something like a Model a box and gives very smooth steering. I have one in my '27 and one in my '39 Dodge.

Later Ford car, '39-48. You can turn it on its side and make a mount to put it so the arm goes up and the draglink runs parallel to the frame. I have seen some lately where they put the spined shaft under the rail and point the arm up.

Corvair and Flaming River corvair type box. In reversed form these make pretty good steering boxes, especially the cast iron ones which are stronger. I have one of the Flaming River ones in my T and like it a lot.

Vega and 525 Saginaw box. Generally used up front with the draglink running to the right side wheel, 90 degrees to the frame rails.

BMW model 2002, about 1975 on I think. Great for underdash cowl steering applications. You want the non power model, and the arm points down when in place outside the cowl.

There are others, like the early VW Bus, early Dodge Vans, etc. Some people have even used combine steering boxes from farm equipment. I'm sure there are tons more, but that is all I know about.

Don

Here are two '56 pickup boxes and the Flaming River Corvair style boxes in three of my cars.

Don

Attachments

• my 27 002.jpg
    my 27 002.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 113
  • dodge making templates for interior 005.jpg
    dodge making templates for interior 005.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 135
  • t new steering box 2.jpg
    t new steering box 2.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 163
This one is out of a 53-36 Ford truck. It is the one to use with the pitman arm pointing down and the drag link going forward. Note one of the 3 mounting ears is broke.

I went to the local junk yard and dug through all the steering boxes. Most are just the oposite as the one I just mentioned. The pitman arm would have to point up to turn the tires in the proper direction. This is why people "reverse" them, I believe.

I did find a couple that worked correctly from some kind of non-hiway rig. Maybe a forklift. I am possibly going to get one of those as it was considerably cheaper than the 53-56 ford box.

Attachments

• parts with topolino 021 (Medium).jpg
    parts with topolino 021 (Medium).jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 83
This is a mopar box as compared to a corvair.I am planning to use this in a cowl steering setup on my truck.In my weak little mind this seems like it will work since the mopar is a rear steer. this one came off a superbee but i think alot of them were the same100_1107 (Medium).jpg

I have a VW bus like donsrod suggested . The car isn't finished yet so I haven't driven it but several friends have used and loved them . They are fairly easy to come by . Also by using a typical punch chisel you can heat the end and drive the chisel in and it matches the taper for most rod ends

I decided to go with a 525 gm box. Had a corvair box but thought it was a little light. Tried a mustang box it mounted nicer but the box I had needed some work and I found it was very expensive to overhaul. My box came out of a mid 90's S-10 I think. My frame sits higher in the front than a frame with a suicide axle up front so I was able to mount the box under the frame. Looks like its going to work good in mock-up.

Attachments

• DSC05029 (Medium).JPG
    DSC05029 (Medium).JPG
    75.5 KB · Views: 73
  • DSC05028 (Medium).JPG
    DSC05028 (Medium).JPG
    95.4 KB · Views: 78
  • DSC05026 (Medium).JPG
    DSC05026 (Medium).JPG
    82 KB · Views: 67

Latest posts

Back