7/25/2010 2 Elderly people in critical condition after model A accident

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dragin Dino

Two in critical condition after Hwy. 29 crash

By Leader staff
A Sunday afternoon crash on Hwy. 29 and County Road Q in the town of Morris has left two people in critical condition.(please keep in mind the speed limit on US hwy 29 is 65 mph!!)

The two-vehicle accident was reported just after 2:30 p.m. to the Shawano County Sheriff’s Department, and the caller stated that one person was out the vehicle and that a person was on the road.

According to marks on the road and witnesses at the scene, a Model A Ford, driven by Herbert Dargel, 86 of Lime Ridge, was attempting to pull out from a stop sign to cross Hwy. 29 when he was struck by a Chevy Avalanche driven by Bambi VanDenHeuvel, 52, of De Pere.

Dargel and his passenger, Wilma (Ruth) Dargel, 83 of Lime Ridge, were transported by ambulance to Aspirus Hospital in Wausau, where they are listed in critical condition. VanDenHeuvel was transported to Shawano Medical Center with non life-threatening injuries.

According to the Sheriff’s Department, the Model A was not equipped with safety belts. The Avalanche driver was in a safety belt and air bags were deployed upon impact. There was no evidence of alcohol being a factor in the crash.

Responding to the scene was the Shawano County Sheriff's Department, the Wittenberg Fire Department, Wittenberg Ambulance, Tigerton Ambulance, and the Wisconsin State Patrol.

Wonder if Bambi was on her cellphone?:rolleyes:

Every time I hear about an accident like this, why is it a WOMAN behind the wheel of one of these mechanical giants? Are they compensating for something (or lack thereof)?[S

Yes, I too hope the elderly couple make it through okay. Sounds to me like they were just out for a nice Sunday drive, enjoying their antique and fate placed them at the wrong place at the wrong time.:(

Regards,
Shea:)

If you broadside a model A at 65, it would be very bad. Hope the old folks make it.

Actually if you broadside a model A at almost ANY speed, it would be bad..Keep in mind, there were no seatbelts, and these cars were not designed with safety features in mind..The Chevy probably outweighed them my 1500lbs, and had the foward momentum..A broadside or T-Bone accident is the single worst and often most fatal accident.
If the model A had a stop sign, then sadly the accident is most likely deemed their fault, as the Avalanch had the right away.

Also with their age being in the 80's, their bodys are frail and less likely to recover from such injuries.Sad, but true facts...

Keep your heads up and alert guys and girls, and keep in mind the cars we drive are by no means SAFE and were not purpose built to survive crashes or protect is occupants..

In the last couple of months we have read about accident after accident involving either hot rods or old cars. There have been more recently than I can ever recall. Is it because there are more of us out there now?

It was also reported on another forum that a 59 El Camino ran a red light and smashed into a cop car and then an SUV.

http://www.azfamily.com/news/local/...in-Tempe-crash-with-DPS-officer-99288429.html

wreckedelcamino.jpg

These wrecks are on top of the rash of 32 Ford accidents that recently occurred. Aside from wishing the occupants well, I hope the do gooders don't start using this as fodder to get our "unsafe" vehicles off of the roads.

Don

UP Date 7/ 28::: By Leader staff : Two people in a vintage Model A Ford were seriously injured in a collision with an SUV on Highway 29 at County Road Q in the Town of Morris.
Herbert Dargel, 86, and Wilma Dargel, 83, of Lime Ridge,they were still listed in critical condition Tuesday in the intensive care unit at Aspirus Hospital in Wausau.

Yeah that is really sad. I saw a similar story on Fordbarn Model A forum. A grandfather and his grand-daughter were going through a green light in his restored 4-door. They broadsided a car that ran the red light...the hood of the A popped off its mounts and went straight back through the windshield and killed both of them. Looked like a 30 mph crash from the condition of the cars.

These old-timers on the forum talk about driving thier As from the Midwest down to Florida every year on the highway at 45 mph. :eek:

there is alot to consider in these type of stories........

1) the A doesn't do well in side crashs--seatbelt or not, the doors are not made with side crash safety in mind--no bear claw latches either
2)the people on the road these days--no matter if women or men--are traveling faster and are doing more than they should while driving (i'm not for banning cell phones but texting?!?!?--come on!)
3) as bad as we as rodders don't want to admit it, the "fad" of ratrodding has put alot of people building "things" they have no business building! - any dingleberry with a HF welder starts whittling out "ratrods" (and i use that term loosely) and putting "stuff" on the road that has no business being there.... (go ahead-tell me i don't know what i'm talking about and i'll drive some piece of crap with questionable engineering -that happens to be sold on e-bay - by you and your family and see how well you like it thinking about how dangerous it really is....)
BTW i love rods and rodders, but i want everyone to be safe with rodding--even the dingleberry w/his HF welder
and finally yes, as someone else commented, there is always a chance of do-gooders trying to ban old cars b/c of "safety reasons".......i hoe it never happens, but if it was just a "threat" to get people to build safer rides...then great....

rant over....

I don't think we should get to caught up in the fact it was a Model A, the majority of the vehicles on the road today would not fare well when getting broadsided by an Avalanche at 65 miles an hour....:cool:

As far as "do gooders" they find anything they "think" will make the world a better place to preach their crap, I am sure rods will be on the list eventually, we all just have to be ready to shove it right back at them and HARD.

there is alot to consider in these type of stories........

1) the A doesn't do well in side crashs--seatbelt or not, the doors are not made with side crash safety in mind--no bear claw latches either
2)the people on the road these days--no matter if women or men--are traveling faster and are doing more than they should while driving (i'm not for banning cell phones but texting?!?!?--come on!)
3) as bad as we as rodders don't want to admit it, the "fad" of ratrodding has put alot of people building "things" they have no business building! - any dingleberry with a HF welder starts whittling out "ratrods" (and i use that term loosely) and putting "stuff" on the road that has no business being there.... (go ahead-tell me i don't know what i'm talking about and i'll drive some piece of crap with questionable engineering -that happens to be sold on e-bay - by you and your family and see how well you like it thinking about how dangerous it really is....)
BTW i love rods and rodders, but i want everyone to be safe with rodding--even the dingleberry w/his HF welder
and finally yes, as someone else commented, there is always a chance of do-gooders trying to ban old cars b/c of "safety reasons".......i hoe it never happens, but if it was just a "threat" to get people to build safer rides...then great....

rant over....

I don't think we should get to caught up in the fact it was a Model A, the majority of the vehicles on the road today would not fare well when getting broadsided by an Avalanche at 65 miles an hour....:cool:

As far as "do gooders" they find anything they "think" will make the world a better place to preach their crap, I am sure rods will be on the list eventually, we all just have to be ready to shove it right back at them and HARD.

R.I.P. Old timer and God bless the wife and the rest of the family !:(
That's all I have to say!

Here in Ontario, ANY cellphone use while the vehicle is in motion (with the exception of HANDSFREE devices) has been banned, the police are allowed to fine and ticket. This is a good move in my opinion. Unfortunately, the teenybopper bimbos still seem to be roaming around out there, phone in one hand, wheel in the other, just waiting to plow you. :mad:

The "DO GOODERS" have been after car guys for decades...maybe since the very beginning. "Unsafe cars" have been a target before, too. It just seems that many more visible "ratrods" are BLATANTLY unsafe...Thus bigger target...

Yes, Godspeed to the driver of the Model A, I pray for his wife's recovery and their family. That's an awful way to end the trip.:(

Regards,
Shea:)

Latest posts

Back