Steering wheel chat

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ratrodney

Hey all.
Got the belt issue figured out so I'm moving to steering wheel chat...lol
10 inch deep dish chain one isn't cutting it so I don't like normal and previously had butterfly wheel in another car and really liked the way it handled.
With the caddy bein bigger I thought I'd like a bigger type wheel.
I love the look of this white one and I think it's just cut down from a bigger one.
Would cutting one like this wood one be as easy as it seems?
Thanks for replys

Attachments

• IMG_20170731_115529.jpg
    IMG_20170731_115529.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_20170731_113448.jpg
    IMG_20170731_113448.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 14
Easy as breakin' out your hacksaw. You might want to do some measuring and taping first, just to see what it will look like. Better chance of getting it right the first time, too. Its hard to put stuff back on. :D

Is it real wood, or wood-flavored plastic?

Either way, the wheel will have a steel ring inside, so it will hold together. May want to pretty up the ends a bit.

On that wheel design, I think I would cut out the bottom area close to the arms, and the top a couple three inches above the upper arms.

In reality, I would likely not cut a steering wheel at all. I've been driving with full circle wheels for too long to change. 'fraid I'd grab some air in an emergency situation.

Butterfly wheels are for drag cars that don't turn very often. Probably not street legal either. If you just want something different, look at the square Mopar wheels.

As evidenced by your experience with the chain wheel, there is usually a reason for certain things to be "normal". Different just to be different often translates to driving difficulties, which is why so many of these gee-gaw items are on barely functioning "art cars" or straight up trailer queens...

As evidenced by your experience with the chain wheel, there is usually a reason for certain things to be "normal". Different just to be different often translates to driving difficulties, which is why so many of these gee-gaw items are on barely functioning "art cars" or straight up trailer queens...

very true but man ya gotta be a dab on the wild side now and then...lol

How about this? Put a quick disconnect on it and have two wheels. A chopped up one for shows, and a full-circle one for real driving.

Latest posts

Back