longer shifter handle

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ratrodney

hey all.
like to extend my automatic column shifter arm out a little to wild it up some.
found a few but not sure what the length or fit is. want it longer with an angle up on o
it.
any suggestions for my 71 caddy? Tnx rr

Ever us a cheater bar to break a stuck bolt loose? It's the same process.

The law of the lever shows that if the distance from the fulcrum to where the input force is applied is greater than the distance from the fulcrum to where the output force is applied, then the lever amplifies the input force.

In other words, extra length x extra weight = lots more force, which is no bueno for a column shifted car. Unless you want it dropping into low gear when you hit a bump at highway speed...

Ever us a cheater bar to break a stuck bolt loose? It's the same process.

The law of the lever shows that if the distance from the fulcrum to where the input force is applied is greater than the distance from the fulcrum to where the output force is applied, then the lever amplifies the input force.

In other words, extra length x extra weight = lots more force, which is no bueno for a column shifted car. Unless you want it dropping into low gear when you hit a bump at highway speed...
How about if the weight was reduced to be the same or less than the original? I can still think of potential issues, like the heavy fist on the end of the lever... :eek:

How about if the weight was reduced to be the same or less than the original? I can still think of potential issues, like the heavy fist on the end of the lever... :eek:

Even if the weight was the same or less, the length is the issue. The cheater bar effect would still apply, especially in a horizontal plane where gravity is already working against it. Can't skirt the laws of physics...

"Give me a lever long enough and a fulcrum on which to place it, and I shall move the world..." ~Archimedes

Thanks for the info guys.
Never thought of that.
How bout the reg length but Kool looking billett kind?

Got mine welded up, still building the shifter frame though.

Attachments

• 5792265D-4668-4F0E-8F86-67D8A510BF6C.jpg
    5792265D-4668-4F0E-8F86-67D8A510BF6C.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 34
You know how some people used to buy smallish plastic black 8-balls and put them on their column shift cars to make them cooler. Well, it turns out, if you steal a real 8-ball, bore a hole in it, tap it, and screw it on your shifter, [to become even cooler], your shifter will fall out of second gear every time.
BED has a good point about too much leverage or weight on your column-shift.

Don't ask me how I know this. ----- Oh, ya, the big boys in the pool hall told me.

Latest posts

Back