38 Plymouth coupe

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, it's a remote waterneck/thermostat housing. The manifold doesn't have provision for a thermostat. The manifold is a conversion from a mechanical fuel injection to efi. The racing manifolds didn't have the thermostat provision.
IMG_0137.JPG

I haven't had much time to keep up with this thread. I have kept at the build. I've been working on the dash and instrument cluster. Which has led into wiring the car. They weren't kidding when they say it takes time to wire a car! It has been one of the hardest things I've done on a car ever. I'm still fighting with it. Trying to remember where all the wires go.
I didn't like the way the dash looked, so I bought a piece of engine turned aluminum and cut out a dash panel for the gauges. I made up a shelf for the fuel system control and ignition box behind the glove box. also made a spot for the fuse panel behind the panel behind the steering wheel.
IMG_0173.JPG

IMG_0176.JPG

IMG_0177.JPG

IMG_0159.JPG

IMG_0172.JPG

IMG_0171.JPG

I think I'm almost done with the wiring thing. Got the battery box mounted in the trunk. Also mounted the fuel tank.
IMG_0277.JPG
IMG_0279.JPG
IMG_0280.JPG
Just need to attach Terminal ends to the battery cables. Then I can start testing systems to make sure everything is ok.

Also picked up a few things. Got a deal on a racing shifter that I'm not sure if I'm going to use. It has a very long throw to it and it's short. I couldn't pass up the deal. It came with linkage and a shift lever.

Also picked some used door panels off a race car to use as interior sheet metal.
IMG_0227.JPG
And yes I went in the dumpster for more. I got 4 panels all together. FYI, the whole dumpster was completely full of Sheetmetal from 4 dirt modified cars. Couldn't beat the price either, FREE!

Man, these things really test your patience! You get some things done and are really progressing and then it smacks you in the face. I finally got the wiring done and had been struggling with the fuel injection system. I think I got that sorted out and go to start the engine and it happens. It didn't start, which is probably a good thing, but I am getting exhaust out of the radiator! I am hoping that it is a head gasket instead of a crack. I guess I will find another part of this project to work on while I try to stop being angry at it/myself.

Here are a couple of pictures of some projects
throttle linkage
IMG_0368.JPG
rear bumper
IMG_0363 (1).JPG
IMG_0364.JPG

Thanks. Actually, it's a old Hilborn manual fuel injection unit converted over to efi. The injection lines on the outside of the manifold are actually vacuum lines that go back to the fuel metering block that acts as a reservoir. The real fuel rails and injectors are in between the throttle bodies. I always loved these units.

Well, I took the engine aprt to find out what was wrong and this is what I found
IMG_0389.JPGIMG_0388.JPG
Other than the head gasket leaking, I also found out that the bolts for the heads were only hand tight. I feel really embarrassed because I never took the heads off to check the condition of the engine when I bought it.

With work being so crazy the past month I haven't been able to get on here. I been working on the car. The engine is put back together again. Got it fired up and runs pretty good. Needs a little tune and adjustment, but god, I love the sound of and open exhaust. I forgot what it was like. Also funny how that sound bring out the people in the neighborhood! I had about 10-12 people stop in to see what was making that sound. 5 of them were from the neighborhood that I never knew about and I've been here for over 15 years.
Also found a windshield and installed it. It was hard to find just a windshield not in a complete glass kit, Nobody around here would make one. Didn't want to have the responsibility on them.
Also worked up the shifter assembly and got that installed, but I'm thinking of taking it out and adding some detents to it.
IMG_0432.JPG

IMG_0450.JPG

Well I found out how many people don't like the sound of a open header. More than a few neighbors have stopped to say the car is too loud and it is shaking things in their houses. It actually has small racing mufflers on it but I guess they are not enough. I didn't want to get bigger straight thru type muffler. I found nice "small" chambered muffler that tone it down some without killing the soul of the sound.
IMG_0467.JPG
IMG_0478.JPG

I also got some Lexan and made the 1/4 windows. I'm not sure if I'll put any other windows in other than the windshield. I kinda want it to be open

Well I found out how many people don't like the sound of a open header. More than a few neighbors have stopped to say the car is too loud and it is shaking things in their houses. It actually has small racing mufflers on it but I guess they are not enough. I didn't want to get bigger straight thru type muffler. I found nice "small" chambered muffler that tone it down some without killing the soul of the sound.
View attachment 164987
View attachment 164988

I also got some Lexan and made the 1/4 windows. I'm not sure if I'll put any other windows in other than the windshield. I kinda want it to be open

A loud exhaust is always a good way to meet neighbors. Then the second time they come over if you don't like them you can just rev it up and eventually they go away.

How right you all are! Unfortunately I live right in the middle of town and we are close together. I usually try to be a good neighbor. Be mindful of the noise I make, but this was too good to not do. However the mufflers I put on are a good compromise. Car is still loud but without the harshness of the open headers.
36Binder, wish i could ignore them, but one of the fun haters is my wife and you know how that goes!

Happy wife, happy life comes into play there, not counting being cut off!

Latest posts

Back