Lizard skin primer questions

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tbj188

I was wanting to know what kind of rattle can primer can I use on replacement panels that will be coated with lizard skin/rhino lining. Reason being is I am about to start to replace way rusted out panels on my bronco basically I'm almost about to be flintstoning in my bronco soon. I am going to respray everything but the bed and and floor will be sprayed with lizard skin or rhino lining. I didn't know if there was a rattle can primer that can be used with those coatings. Thanks in advance.

Thomas. [;)

I believe that you should be able to use any rattle can automotive primer. Othere than epoxy types, primers are usualy a non hardner added product.
The only concern that I would have is wether the solvents in the lizard skin would cause the primer to lift. Most likely the lizard skin specs will give you that answer.
Just make sure your surface is prepped. Clean, degreased, scuffed, ect.
Torchie.

Alrighty thanks. Yea that was my concern about it lifting. What kind of those coatings would be best lizard skin, rhino, etc... Don't have any kind of experience with them.

Couple more questions

I looked at lizard skin and got this:

Preparing Surfaces

LizardSkin coatings must be applied to a clean, dry surface that is free from rust and corrosion. For bare steel surfaces, a primer with at least 15% elongation is required. All other types of substrates do not require a primer. LizardSkin can be applied without scuffing to a newly primed metal surface.

If existing primer or paint has been on the substrate for more than 5-7 days, the surface needs to be cleaned and scuffed to allow for good mechanical adhesion. For aluminum, stainless, fiberglass and wood, the surface needs to be cleaned and scuffed prior to the application of LizardSkin. Mask off any areas that you don’t want coated.

What is elongation?
If I do get the right primer and wait more than a week to use lizard skin then ill have to clean and scuff the primer?

Looking to do this really really soon so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Thomas [;)

I looked at lizard skin and got this:

Preparing Surfaces

LizardSkin coatings must be applied to a clean, dry surface that is free from rust and corrosion. For bare steel surfaces, a primer with at least 15% elongation is required. All other types of substrates do not require a primer. LizardSkin can be applied without scuffing to a newly primed metal surface.

If existing primer or paint has been on the substrate for more than 5-7 days, the surface needs to be cleaned and scuffed to allow for good mechanical adhesion. For aluminum, stainless, fiberglass and wood, the surface needs to be cleaned and scuffed prior to the application of LizardSkin. Mask off any areas that you don’t want coated.

What is elongation?
If I do get the right primer and wait more than a week to use lizard skin then ill have to clean and scuff the primer?

Looking to do this really really soon so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Thomas [;)

Just went out to the shop and looked at a couple of cans of primer and could see no mention of "Elongation" on either one. Further research shows that elongation has something to do with the molecular structure of the primer.:eek: So who knows.[S

Yes if the primer has been on the metal longer than 5-7 days it will need to be scuffed. Best course seems to be to shoot the primer allowing it to dry then follow with coating of your choice. Don't wait any longer than you have to.
No experience with lizard skin. Helped a guy shoot some Rhino once. Didn't impress me one way or the other. All I recall was the need for a special gun and not a standard spray gun. You will find pros and cons in regards to both of these products all over the internet.
Truthfully if it was me I would go to my local auto shop and use what ever knockoff spray on bed liner that they sold. Most likely half the price and has just as much chance as working as the big name stuff.
Sorry That I couldn't be of more help to you.
Torchie.

I contacted a dealer and they also apply the product. They told me to por15 it then use an epoxy primer that says 15% elongation on the tech sheet....so I guess I'll go that route???I may post some recent pics of the bronco on my other thread in he bs section...

Thanks.

Thomas [;)

I was wanting to know what kind of rattle can primer can I use on replacement panels that will be coated with lizard skin/
Thomas. [;)

My question is ..... what is lizard skin ??? Is it the same as rhino ?

The reason I ask is once I get done with a paint job I am doing I will get back working on the 66 rat and need to duplicate a lizard / snake patina on a hood to match the rest of the truck

If anyone has any ideas on what I can do to match it, the 66 build is here;

http://ratrodsrule.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30537

Yes I was answering your question Odds.
Rhino, lizard skin, about the same thing.
My wife has done some "Faux" finishes on some of the outdoor metal art that I make. It is acrylic latex craft paint. Water based and it holds up fine.
She has also used Valspar 2 part crackle paint. its not water based. Use what ever color you want the cracks to be first then coat with the Crackle finish.
Available at HD or Lowes.
Torchie.

Attachments

• IMG_0001.JPG
    IMG_0001.JPG
    93.3 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_0003.JPG
    IMG_0003.JPG
    147.4 KB · Views: 7

Latest posts

Back