heater box

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

martin53

How do I wire my heater fan its beginning to get chilly and looking to hook up my heater box should I use the original 6 volt motor or a 12 volt I have from a Dakota heater box.

I had a 46 Ford Business coupe many moons ago. Ran a 12volt system and kept the 6volt bulbs in the running lights and the 6volt heater motor. Sold the car 2 years later and the bulbs were still burning and the heater fan was still spinning. I have no idea how[S

Could probably run the 6 volt motor for a while until you burn it up. The old 6 volt motors were built way better than anything new anyways.
Usually the case I'd the ground, and 2 other wires are low and high.

I'd probably lean towards running it on low with running 12 volts through it to aid in prolonging it's remaining life. 12 volts through a 6 volt motor will spin it up past it's normal low speed anyways.

Next spring, take it all apart, clean it up, spray bomb it, measure the dimensions of the 6 volt motor and look for a similar 12 volt replacmemt. Swap motors out (some fabrication might be required) and your all set.

With cold comes the need for defrost. Make sure you have some ducting to the windsheild to rid the fog of your hot stinky breath fogging up the glass when you first get in.

Why don't you post a picture of what you have? It would help identify what your working with.
The Dakota fan likely won't work as it's a squirrl cage setup. The old fans are standard blades, or blades with the squirrl cage combo.
So what do you have?

Latest posts

Back