Big Spring Eye = Sloppy Bushing

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pistolpete

So, I bit the bullet bought a reversed eye spring from Speedway for the front of my A. I had made some bronze bushings for the front to use "stock" Model A shackles in a 3/4" eye in the spring and the hangers, so they are turned to .750" OD. Go to press them into the spring and one falls in with a slight tap, the over went in with a few slightly harder taps. The one is worse then the other but I can see light around parts of the bushing, the worse one being probbaly 30-40% gap around it. It measures with the old vernski at the worst .780" best being .755". I can only assume this is going to allow things to wear way to quickly, or like normal am I worried about something I shouldn't be and this is "normal".

Thanks,

No buddy has had this issue, or am I worrying about nothing again.

I may have another issue with this spring, I installled it, and it went onto the shackles with room to spare, as to say I think its too long. Uninstalled it measures 31 1/4" but sadly my perches are 3/8" closer then the 36" they are supposed to be, closer to 35 5/8". So my shackles with a bare block and no body sit at 45 degrees, so figure another 200lbs of metal to be dropped on so standing on the front crossmember they sit a little steeper then 45 degrees.... not sure what to do...

IMG_0877.jpg

I bought a spring from speedway and had an issue with the length. I ended up calling Posies, the manufacturer of the spring and they told me that they didn't supply speedway with a spring for astock axle. I returned it to speedway and bought the right one from Posies.I'd try calling Posies and see what they say.

I had to return a mono spring to Speedway also due to incorrect length.

Bought one from kennysrodandkustom on ebay.

I would return/exchange it if you can.

Yep, those springs are not made to use the steel shackles you are using, they are made for the press in rubber or urethane bushings, one from each side, and then the shackle slides into those bushings.

Don

Not what I wanted to hear.... but never the less doesn't surprise me. I'll see what I can do, not sure sending it back is an option due to cross border shipping BS. If I was to get a main spring from another source think the rest of the pack would be ok to use with it?

Just noticed we live in the same city. Can't help with your problem though. Can't buy anything local!! I've ordered lots from Speedway but never had to return anything. Good luck with the project.

The only springs that I know that are made to use with the original type shackles are original Model A springs. All of the after market ones (Posies, Speedway, etc.) have an eye that is sized to use one of the aftermarket shackle kits that use rubber, plastic, or urethane bushings. Plus, those bushings are so much better than the original steel ones in both ride and quiet that it makes sense to use the new style shackles as opposed to the old type.

Don

Does anyone sell a fairly short bolt to bolt shackle? That's partly why I was trying to make these work, that and I like the cast end on them better then others I have seen. I am using a .750" ID axle mount so the rubber bushings could work would just need to get new shackles and bushings.

Maybe a silly idea, if I was to take a .625" OD steel sleeve, pressed it into some polyurethane and then turned it to .780+/- and pressed those into the springs??? Not that I have to use these shackles but I do like the look of them... and would use them if I could.

Speedway sells a shackle kit in plain for all 3 widths of spring for less than 20 bucks...nylon bushings..I'm with Don, they'll out perform the originals.

Latest posts

Back