Truck Hemi

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Willow, I have a truck 354 and some opinions.
The car hemis have a water cross-over bolted onto the front of the heads so the car hemi advocates claim they cool better due to better water circulation. Truck Hemis run water between the heads through the intake manifold between the front and second intake tunnels. The car guys are blowin' smoke up your skirt a little, because they can see the crossover on a car engine and can't on a truck one. No-one takes into consideration that that truck ran twelve hours a day with some-ones foot pushed right up to the carburetor, burning gallons of gas an hour and the engine never heated up. There must be enough circulation in a truck engine.
The bellhousing is another story. the truck one is pretty skookum and the car one is better suited to use in a hotrod. The Poly motors have the same bolt pattern on the bellhousing up until 1961.
I have bolted on an A833 four speed to the back of a 270 truck hemi, but I think the baby hemi has a shallower bell than a 354. [look under 1934 Plymouth five window].

Latest posts

Back