S10 Frame under Model A Sedan

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You can Google and see a lot of disasters. An ifs on a fenderless car is hard to make pretty. There are still some that don't care for mine. :D

...and this is why you were missed. [cl Perfectly said Don, and sage words.

You can lead a horse to water...

One thing you will find, Tom, is that the guys on this forum are the least judgmental on the internet. They always go out of their way to be kind and supportive of a fellow rodder. That being said, they are being very truthful in telling you that some things simply should not be done. An S10 frame ( or most modern car or truck frames) have no place under a model a body.

Yes, it might be a means to an end, but anyone who builds a car wants to be proud of it, and show that they have done something well. Just throwing a car together will never really get you any respect or let you feel good about what you accomplished.

The work you would put in adapting a frame would be a lot more than just doing it right and making one from rectangular tubing, or in modifying a stock model a frame , and the car would look great.

We are just giving you the best advice we can, from people who have been down this road more than once.

It's hard to be sure but it looks like it may be just the front clip grafted to a narrower frame.

You can see the rear part of the S-10 frame in the video, but it looks like they used the front and rear and made new intermediate rails from tubing. It's heavily modified. Which begs the question, why not just start from scratch or with a frame better suited to the body? Like a Model A frame...

It's hard to be sure but it looks like it may be just the front clip grafted to a narrower frame.

For sure you can see the graft ate 1:24 i took a screen capture.. I need to learn how to post full size images again without photobucket..

i circled the where u can see the box section inserted into the frame rails. I also pointed an arrow at a spot (hard to tell from the resolution) but it looks like it may have been cut and welded to change the angle..

Attachments

• graft.jpg
    graft.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 30
"If you do use IFS, switching it to rack and pinion would let you lop off those huge frame horns."

That and I wouldn't use an IFS unless I was willing to buy tubular a-arms and coilovers to go with it.

"If you do use IFS, switching it to rack and pinion would let you lop off those huge frame horns."

That and I wouldn't use an IFS unless I was willing to buy tubular a-arms and coilovers to go with it.

Both statements are true. In the end, the most effective way to get good proportions and a good looking front suspension with a fenderless car is a straight axle, IMO.

Welcome to Undead Sleds.
I also am planning a Model A on another frame, so I'm listening to all the comments. I have two S-10s out in the back but have decided not to use them. Something the other guys haven't brought up yet is 'appropriate frame length'. To quote donsrods from a few years ago; "on a fenderless car, your front wheels should be centred fairly close to 'under the radiator'", whereas, the stock placement, with fenders on, could be further back, so finding a frame the stock length might not be long enough, anyhow. The car in the video has been modified quite a lot and I think in a month or two when he gets the motor and rad in, he will realize he needs to do some more, because his wheels will be too far back and they won't look proportioned right.
I'm sorry we came down on your idea; it's not a good way to welcome a newcomer. But, these guys on here have built a lot of cars and tried a lot of engineering things, so they are trying to steer you away from some heartache. Good Luck.

Latest posts

Back